Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need your help guys

grumpyvette said:
well I got shingles now!

Coming right along! How did you make out about the garage doors? Did the local guy stand by his original quote in the end or did you get stuck for the extras or decide on different doors altogether that meet local specs?

"Did the local guy stand by his original quote in the end or did you get stuck for the extras or decide on different doors altogether that meet local specs?"

I shopped till I was REALLY sick of it!
I got better rated doors, from a differant dealer,
found most of the dealers are not willing to be reasonable,
but finally ordered a PAIR of 180mph rated insullated 8 ft tall x 16 ft wide garage doors that cost me $4700 INSTALLED PRICE
( without power openers,)(Ill get those later,) they are to be installed in two weeks.....needed to be ordered custom built, seem most guys get the cheap un-insullated doors rated at 110mph and they don,t sell many quality, high wind load rated doors so they don,t stock them
every last one of thos SOBs quote MUCH lower prices over the phone, but once they find your demanding certified doors with back up paper work and a state certification the price goes thru the roof!

Amazing some of the unexpected hassles and red tape you hit doing these things and it's especially frustrating when it delays you or in your case costs you more than originally quoted. Good luck on the installation and please let us know how it goes.

Is everything going smoothly for the door installation for next week? Is everything else going OK and flowing to your schedule like you planned? Sure hope so. It would be interesting to see some pics after the doors are up if you get a chance. Good luck

Ill post pics as soon as the doors get installed, NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, EVER goes exactly to schedual...and RARELY to budget!! .but Im hopeing everthing will eventually work out.
the guys in the building trades and guys suppling building materials , seem to operate in a totally differant world, where calendars are only used a sources of pin-up girl pics and prices change (upward) at random

Sorry to hear about the frustrations you're hitting. It is a different world for sure. A nightmare when you are co-ordinating all these trades to do jobs on different days but close together and then the rain starts and everyones schedules on all their jobs get moved around but again. Hope things straighten up for you soon and these guys start doing what they promise for you.
Good luck. We'll watch for the pics later.

garage8.jpg

garage7.jpg

Im still waiting on garage doors to be delivered, they were suppose to be here last week....
but heres some pics of the inside so far, it gives a partial idea as to size but makes the garage look FAR SMALLER than it is, theres an additional 15 feet behind my brother-in-law as he took this picture filled with building materials/stored parts ETC. so he cant back up further

btw look closely at the shadow the vette has on the back wall,of the garage, that vette is a MEASURED 12 feet from the back wall, between the wall and the nearest point on the corvette(gives you some perspective)

WOW! Incredible amount of space you have. Looks like things came together with the contractors finally. Hope your doors come soon and then you can start to fill the garage up;) . Thank you for the update and the pics.

garage9.jpg

well three weeks later than I was promised, I finaly got my $4700 180mph rated door on the garage installed, and they look great!,........yup THE DAY AFTER THE HURRICANE..TYPICAL

What's new since you got your doors at the end of August? I've been checking but didn't see any updates, are you working on the interior just now? Curious to see how you are setting everything up.:upthumbs

yeah. Ill post again as soon as its further along, so far theres been just some minor changes/improvements not worth detailing yet

Wow... I just saw this thread. That garage is awesome. It looks huge inside. Unbelievable that there is actually 12 feet between the front of the vette and the back wall- looks like about 5.

What are your plans for the interior? Does 100K just get you the structure and security system :)eek)... how much else does that cover?

Tammy

"Does 100K just get you the structure and security system :)eek)... how much else does that cover?"

100 K will get me the basic garage ,Ill have a tiled bathroom and a car lift,electric,ETC. fairly soon if the #$#$^%^ contractors get going at the agreed prices

garage10.jpg

well finally got the stucco

garage11.jpg

the lift

garage12.jpg

the bathroom installed in my new garage so Im advancing slowly

The progress might be slower than you want it to be but it is still moving forward and you are doing a nice job. Looking good!:upthumbs . Happy New Year to you "Grumpy" and I hope 2006 goes smoother than 2005 with your contractors. Congrats on the great job you've done so far.
Doug

THANKS, its FAR SLOWER progress than I wish, but like you stated it is SLOWLY getting closer to being a usable shop

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom