Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I want more hp or something what to do??

I've got a Firebird 700R4 sitting in the barn which I paid a hundred bucks for. Haven't installed it yet. Gotta finish a few dozen other projects first. I'm afraid the lower 1st gear ratio is gonna negate the torque advantage that the TPI gives me, allowing me to jump C-5's at the light.

I have been reading this thread, altho I have a manual trans in my Corvette it is an OD 5-speed TKO I also have another project which is getting a 700r-4 replacing the th350 I will have to shorten the driveshaft (any good weld shop can do it) and use a Painless wireing Kit to control the lockup feature on the TC not a real big deal. the tv cable serves the same function as the kickdown cable on the th350 My TKO runs about 2000 at 75 and first is all done at about 40 mph with what I believe are stock gears.
I paid $250 for the 700r-4 and will probably have another $100-150 in the swap when I am through Look around junkyards trading times and even e-bay for a used trans if you want to do it on the cheap but 1500 for a rebuilt trans and all the parts is not a bad deal at all
PS anyone who has swapped in an OD trans whether it is an auto or stick will probably tell you it was worth every penny and they would not hesitate to do it again

Another gear....

Bossvette is right I could should go for another gear. On my four speed first is a little high and 4th isn't high enough.

1st goes to 50mph and 4th cruises 60mph at about 2250rpm. 70mph is almost 3,000rpm.

It would be nice to shift into 5th (or 6th!) gear. That way you could save some gas and some noise.

-Gooney0

If you want more punch out of the hole, why don't you just change to a lower series of tire, like put some 50's or 40's on it. No rebuild costs, no changes to stock and easy to do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom