Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

identificationneeded for door handle part

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
identification needed for door handle part

Anyone recognize this part of the door handle?
doorspring2.jpg

I found it in the bottom of my door. My handle will not open the door from the outside but works on the inside. It looks like everything inside is still connected. I think it is a spring involved with connecting the door handle to the rod that connects the linkage but not sure.

thanks

It looks like a lock mechanism spring, if you have a Zip catalog, it looks like part # DR-592. You can go on line to look at their parts. They are a supporter of the forum.

I'm looking at a spare door handle right now with that spring on it. It is the return spring for the bellcrank that pushes down on the door release rod. Loss of the spring will not directly stop the door from opening, but is symptomatic of the bellcrank pivot having failed.

You need a new door handle assembly.

I'm looking at a spare door handle right now with that spring on it. It is the return spring for the bellcrank that pushes down on the door release rod. Loss of the spring will not directly stop the door from opening, but is symptomatic of the bellcrank pivot having failed.

You need a new door handle assembly.

That is something you can't buy and replace? It is internal to the door handle I assume?

thanks

I've never seen the pivot sold separately. Even if it was, most likely the hole where it mounts in the housing has been damaged. You could spend some money in a machine shop custom making a new bushing and pin after the hole was drilled out oversize , but a few hundred bucks to fix a 30-50 dollar part is not good economy.

Here's a photo of a typical handle where you can see the spring and pivot:

604442.jpg

Thanks, that does look like the spring. I can see that bar that comes off the handle that is at a right angle. When I depress the handle is doesnt seem to move and seems to be at a wierd angle but its hard to say cause the latch and plastic piece are in the way.

This brings up a question. I am hearing that maybe removing the door latch assembly will give space enough to maybe reach the back bolt on the door handle. Isn't the assembly attached in theory to the door handle by a connecting rod that has clips that often fail? How do you seperate the two?
Is the plastic piece that is blocking me from getting better access part of the door latch assembly?

This brings up a question. I am hearing that maybe removing the door latch assembly will give space enough to maybe reach the back bolt on the door handle.

True

Isn't the assembly attached in theory to the door handle by a connecting rod that has clips that often fail?

True, but it's not the clip that fails, it's the bit that broke on yours. BTDT.

How do you seperate the two?

After you remove the screws holding the door latch assembly and the plastic theft and drip guard, you should have decent access to the clip. Undo it from the straight part of the rod, and the latch assembly will be detached from the door handle

Is the plastic piece that is blocking me from getting better access part of the door latch assembly?

Yup I took mine out and put it away for 'safekeeping';)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom