Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Identify this fuel pump

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
Hi, It has been a great fall for driving here in New England. I am close to 30,000 miles on engine rebuild and restoration in 2010 and 2011.

3 projects left to complete

New convertible top

Rebuild original steering box (sending out to a pro)

Rebuilding fuel pump that failed on the second day of my 48 state trip.

Remember the Bronx and the picture of Joey and Tony and I eventually got it replaced with a Napa pump. Still working 30,000 miles later.

The pump that failed was a correct service replacement for my L-79 327/350. I have replaced the pump 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years.

I took it apart and it seems to be a half breed, bottom cap has a " Made in Canada " the inner ring has a " Made in USA "

A metal tag the has M 3972

the inner chamber has a FP 1159 stamped
and FP 8**67

and a " A " in a circle

I bought it many years ago and want to order a rebuild kit.

I am sure that it is a rebuild that used tops and bottoms from different pumps.

See the pictures and tell me if you can identify it. You can see the diaphragm that gave in and you will notice that the pivot pin is missing from the body. No wonder the car would not run.

Let me know what you think of the pump and its background.

I will document the rebuild

FuelPumpRebuild007.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild004.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild011.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild013.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild014.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild015.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild016.jpg

FuelPumpRebuild017.jpg

Fuel pump Done

Update on fuel pump rebuild. I have read many posts of members having problems with this simple rebuild and I can understand why.

I received the kit to repair my fuel pump. I used directions from an old Chilton's mid 60's corvette service manual for mid-years. If you follow directions, the job should only take a few minuets to do.

If you don't you can be cursing quite a bit on hooking the diaphragm arm on to the rocker arm.

So here is the first picture. I have put the rocker arm back in the upper body and attached the spring. I also have put together the lower body new gasket and new valves in kit.

Parts laid out

Fuelpumprepairdone001.jpg

This next step is the most important for hooking arm . You insert a screw driver as shown , that forces up the hook arm and keeps it up.

Fuelpumprepairdone002.jpg

Next, you put spring in body, line up diaphragm holes and rod, and press down on diaphragm until you hook arm. You can see what you are doing and you may want to put the pump in a vice so it does not move.

Fuelpumprepairdone003.jpg

It looks like this when hooked

Fuelpumprepairdone004.jpg

Next, use a clamp or vice to slowly push parts together so that you can start screws

Fuelpumprepairdone005.jpg

Important !

Do not tighten screw all the way, leave just enough room for diaphragm to move a bit between bodies.

Next Press in plunger to full flex and hold, while you tighten screws down.

Pump is now done and ready to go.

Fuelpumprepairdone006.jpg

My problem now is ,,,,,, do I want to take out the modern new pump and put back the correct one , with my chrome gas line.

I hope my pictures help....... A simple job if you have good directions....

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom