Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Idler pulley... ECHH..ECHHHH...ECH...ECHHHHH

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Well, I think I have an Idler puller bearing wearing out. I have a DREADFUL intermittant squeaking when there is a load on the engine. Light throttle create more, an idle creates less, and decelerating creates the least. I have a brand new belt and it has no wear on it. I don't think it is tensioner because the screeching isn't on the passenger side. It is coming from below the alternator.

Has anyone had to replace a tensioner or idler yet? I know it is straight forward, I am more curious if anyone knows if this is a problem or there was a recall or something.

Thanks!

Replacing belts, tensioners, idler pulleys, etc on the front of the LS1 is very, very common. I believe that what I have read is that if you replace one belt, go ahead and do them both.

And have fun with that AC belt... it always gives me a hard time.

The tensioner pulley is easy to change, the idler pulley on the other hand I did not attempt.

There is one tensioner and one idler for the AC. There is also one tensioner and one idler for the main drive belt. As it was previously said, the AC ones are more difficult to replace. Better to do it from under the car. If you say that the noise is coming from below the alternator, you may have to replace the main drive belt idler. You just have to remove the belt and the pulley bolt. Refer to number 2 & 3 on diagram. I attached some picture for reference.
34620115189.jpg

34620110935.jpg

Thanks for the schematic!

Now for the part nunber... I think I'll check Crown's website...

I have 12564401 for part # 2 on my part CD.

I still have 300 miles left by warranty coverage, on my 98'.Bought with 1000 miles left and 12 months...guess I will make contact with dealer...any hints on getting warranty issues solved? Should I tell them its warranty related or just ask for a condition check on new purchase, then tell them when I get the report that I have warranty transfered over?

I will put that on my "to fix" list.
1. Leaking under rear-end
2. Rocking Driver's seat
3. ECHH...ECHHHHH...ECHHHH on start up !

Thanks

6 Shooter said:
DarkShark78 - Can you make that sound again? :L

So as you know... I also do birthdays, Bar Mitzvahs, and company pic-nics...;LOL

DRTH VTR said:
Replacing belts, tensioners, idler pulleys, etc on the front of the LS1 is very, very common. I believe that what I have read is that if you replace one belt, go ahead and do them both.
:crazy Yeah! I wouldn't take a chance. Replace 'em all! (Threw a timing belt once - had to replace the engine - may not apply exactly to yours, but don't take chances)

thanks I will ask about that TSB...

vette747 said:
I have 12564401 for part # 2 on my part CD.

Thanks- both sets of idlers (A/C belt and main belt) were bad. Go figure.

vette747- could you look on your CDs for the A/C idler? I need the PN# for the A/C belt idler... it is different from the main belt idler. Thanks buddy!

DarkShark78 said:
Thanks- both sets of idlers (A/C belt and main belt) were bad. Go figure.

vette747- could you look on your CDs for the A/C idler? I need the PN# for the A/C belt idler... it is different from the main belt idler. Thanks buddy!
Don't thous have Sealed pressed in Bareing's?? If so Knock them out and go to Part's Store there's a Part # on them!! I do it all the Time!! Timkin,Bower,US Bearing, These small sealed bearing's are $1.00-$4.00 ea. Depending on size and where you get them!! I keep 3 or 4 most Popular ones in my tool box Gm,Ford,Cry,and Imports use allot of same small Bareing's in alternator and Idler pulleys and Tension'er. Most you have to knock out with a punch from back side!! I Knock them back in with a Socket and a Brass Hammer!!!!!!:upthumbs junk!!

gmjunkie said:
Don't thous have Sealed pressed in Bareing's?? If so Knock them out and go to Part's Store there's a Part # on them!! I do it all the Time!! Timkin,Bower,US Bearing, These small sealed bearing's are $1.00-$4.00 ea. Depending on size and where you get them!! I keep 3 or 4 most Popular ones in my tool box Gm,Ford,Cry,and Imports use allot of same small Bareing's in alternator and Idler pulleys and Tension'er. Most you have to knock out with a punch from back side!! I Knock them back in with a Socket and a Brass Hammer!!!!!!:upthumbs junk!!

Junkie, yeah I'd do that... except for one thing... I don't live in the US right now. I'm in Germany, and the Germans don't have the support from the corporate world the way the US does. In the US, you could go to Advance, O'Reilley's, NAPA, or where ever. Here, there is only ATU (kinda like Western Auto from the '80s). Not only that but it is illegal to work on your own car in our driveway- "environmental" reasons... so I drive to places where I have to PAY $4.00 an hour to work on my own car (I love the money I simply must THROW away while living here:mad).

I speak only enough German to order a good beer at a restaurant. So, I'm stuck ordering off the 'net.

I just called Eckler's, $25.99... and I'll get it in a week.:cry
I guess that is okay. I'll be in Rome next weekend anyway :D (I need a smiley with olive branches and a toga)!

But, if you want a great deal on a Cuckoo clock... let me know:L.

DarkShark78 said:
Junkie, yeah I'd do that... except for one thing... I don't live in the US right now. I'm in Germany, and the Germans don't have the support from the corporate world the way the US does. In the US, you could go to Advance, O'Reilley's, NAPA, or where ever. Here, there is only ATU (kinda like Western Auto from the '80s). Not only that but it is illegal to work on your own car in our driveway- "environmental" reasons... so I drive to places where I have to PAY $4.00 an hour to work on my own car (I love the money I simply must THROW away while living here:mad).

I speak only enough German to order a good beer at a restaurant. So, I'm stuck ordering off the 'net.

I guess that is okay. I'll be in Rome next weekend anyway :D (I need a smiley with olive branches and a toga)!

But, if you want a great deal on a Cuckoo clock... let me know:L.
Sorry Man I didn't Know!!;) 80's Western Auto,:W Gee That suck's!! As for the Cuckoo, we have the Dakoda Kid Thank's anyway!! ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :rotfl junk!! ps Send Photo's of the Toga Party!!!

DarkShark78 said:
Here, there is only ATU (kinda like Western Auto from the '80s). Not only that but it is illegal to work on your own car in our driveway- "environmental" reasons... so I drive to places where I have to PAY $4.00 an hour to work on my own car (I love the money I simply must THROW away while living here:mad).

ATU -- Auto Teile Unger! I bought stuff there when I lived in Germany! And yes, the environmental issues are quite strange. But think about it, at least you have the base auto hobby shop. Germans are stuck having to pay people to work on their cars.

In Italy, where I was last stationed is even worse...parts stores and accessory stores are separate places. And neither place has any overlap at all. And you can't buy petroleum proucts on base either. Imagine having to pay 15 euros (about $17) a liter for full synthetic oil for your vette! I had to do it once because I had not been to Germany in a while to buy Mobil 1 at the BX.

DarkShark78 said:

guess what! GM dealer and they quote me with $130 CDN for the AC idler pulley.....

Sorry for the delay, I spent the day in the garage changing spark plug + wire, oil diff, etc, etc,.... Good you find it any way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom