Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

If you ever wondered, heres a fake tank sticker

lawcpi said:
I was just about to request that someone elaborate on why the tank sticker is incorrect. Then I thought, why in the hell would those in the know share that kind of information that could be used to create a forgery. That sure screws it up for the rest of us.:mad

Well, maybe so but I would disagree ...

To me that's like keeping how to tell money is counterfeit a secret, or like not publishing new vulnerabilities in software. Security by obscurity is no security at all.

If tank sticker secrets are kept secret, then that enables more forgery, IMHO.

Need a tank sticker? No problem! Aged for that 'authentic' look too.

http://www.cor-vette.com/tank_sticker_order_forms.html

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
i love that link KOPBET! fake tank stickers are bad enough but now they include them for 1966 models on the site. i'd love to meet the buyer that buys a car based on a 1966 tank sticker since tank stickers didn't start until 1967

BarryK said:
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
i love that link KOPBET! fake tank stickers are bad enough but now they include them for 1966 models on the site. i'd love to meet the buyer that buys a car based on a 1966 tank sticker since tank stickers didn't start until 1967

Authentic, eh? ;LOL

Guys,

this tank sticker is easy. look at the close up pic he has of it. You can tell he has erased and handwritten in new letters. this tank sticker appears to me to have originaly been from a small block convertible, had white side wall tires, an M20 wide ratio trans, was not a black/red car ect. Certain options shown in the lower option listing would only show an an AO smith built "small block" car. the empty line should not be there. and he has done no research on proper wording for options. For example engine line should read 435 HP V8 TURBOJET, bolt on wheels read 15 INCH WHEEL EQ, TI read TRANSISTOR IGN EQ, this guy failed to do his research!!! Plus just go back and look again at this, its easy to notice the eraser marks and inconsistant fonts on this ragged looking poorly forged sticker. The 11 is another givaway, These cars ran 1-500 then restarted, the 11 would most of the time be from a car with a vin that ended in 11,12,13 or 511, 512, 513 as the line did get off a few numbers as it ran . There are exceptions as there were problem cars that were held back for repairs and such but this fits as a general rule.

Dennis

BarryK said:
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Barry,

Actually very late 66's did have stickers, I think I have an example from a 66 built in the last month of production, I will see if I can find it and post it.

Dennis

Dennis, thanks for the correction and information. I thought the tank stickers only started in the '67 model year. :beer

KOPBET said:
Security by obscurity is no security at all.

If tank sticker secrets are kept secret, then that enables more forgery, IMHO.

Well put. Your point of view makes sense. I guess it just feels like helping cheaters to me. But I understand what you are saying.

lawcpi said:
Well put. Your point of view makes sense. I guess it just feels like helping cheaters to me. But I understand what you are saying.

You guys all know best. I'm just trying to learn what I can. :upthumbs

Here is the close up shot of this sticker:

c9_3.JPG

look close and you can still read some of the old writing, look at the transmision line, it used to say 4 SPD TRANSMISSION (correct for an M20) look at the engine line, it appears to have said 350 HP TURBOFIRE (327-350hp) int looks like BLACK TRIM (vinyl). Tires changed from 2 ply white walls to 4 ply redlines, color is to damaged for me to make out but I can see it was converted to become a black car.

Dennis

Dennis,

you have good eyes! Thanks for pointing those out. Although I can't see all of what you describe on this LT monitor, I CAN see some of it. :upthumbs

What's a real one look like?

For us newbies, anybody have a picture of a real tank sticker for us to compare?

KOPBET said:
Dennis,

you have good eyes! Thanks for pointing those out. Although I can't see all of what you describe on this LT monitor, I CAN see some of it. :upthumbs

KOPBET If I hadn't just spent 6 of the past 8 weeks in Russia on a job, I'd never have known your moniker is pronounced "Corvette" in Russian, and I suspect now that you know that, too. Told my wife (via phone) that it was getting to where I could not only read some of the Russian words, I was also beginning to understand what some of them meant!! That's how I knew it was time to leave!!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, did a lot of looking for Corvettes while I was there, and didn't see any. Although there was a classic car show with a 60's Cadillac convertible in attendance. There's sure a lot of the younger guys who'd love to own one, though. Be thankfull!!!

:)

Ron Miller said:
KOPBET If I hadn't just spent 6 of the past 8 weeks in Russia on a job, I'd never have known your moniker is pronounced "Corvette" in Russian, and I suspect now that you know that, too.
:)

Da, tovarisch!

I suppose technically you would pronounce KOPBET as kar-vyet'. Since the second syllable is stressed, the "o" in corvette would be pronounced as an "a" as in father. This is really just a transliterated word of course, as there are many in the Russian language.

6 weeks in Russia eh? Where abouts? There used to me a couple of members from Moscow but I haven't seen them around in a long time.

KOPBET said:
Da, tovarisch!

I suppose technically you would pronounce KOPBET as kar-vyet'. Since the second syllable is stressed, the "o" in corvette would be pronounced as an "a" as in father. This is really just a transliterated word of course, as there are many in the Russian language.

6 weeks in Russia eh? Where abouts? There used to me a couple of members from Moscow but I haven't seen them around in a long time.

St. Petersburg (Leningrad of old) finishing a wastewater treatment plant started before the Communist government fell. Now being completed by a consortium of folks, with the Finns heavily involved.

:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom