Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ignition Lock Question

USNA1969

Corvette
1972 Big Block/4-Speed
I'm beginning to have trouble removing the key from the ignition. In a couple of instances, taking my foot off the clutch seemed to release it. Is the clutch tied in with the ignition switch? Is this likely to get substantially worse over time, i.e., I won't be able to get the key out at all? Any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

unfortunately over time, the lock cylinder and the key wears and they start to become a "mismatch". you might want to try to a bit of graphite powder (it is a very fine compound in a squeeze tube that sprays the graphite through a pointed nozzle. it is a lock "lubricant" that might help for a while. i just had a situation with my 71 el camino where when i arrived home from the office (the car is a daily driver at this point) and the key refused to turn at all (i had to pull the coil wire to shut the car off, lol). even the locksmith who answered the call couldn't get the key to the off position let alone out of the ignition lock. the entire lock assembly had to be replaced.

my son's 76 camaro experienced something a bit different, his key would go into and could be removed, but it wouldn't turn the lock any more. the mechanic had to replace the ignition switch and explained pretty much what i mentioned earlier, that over time the parts just wear and eventually no longer mate, causing problems.

i'm just guessing about your situation, but i would think you are probably headed to the same repair in the near future.

USNA1969 said:
I'm beginning to have trouble removing the key from the ignition.

Is the problem just pulling the key out, or is it getting the cylinder fully into the "Lock" position so you can remove the key? If it's the latter, you may have an adjustment/binding problem with the backdrive cable from the reverse lever on the transmission to the bottom lever on the steering column.

:beer

JohnZ said:
Is the problem just pulling the key out, or is it getting the cylinder fully into the "Lock" position so you can remove the key? If it's the latter, you may have an adjustment/binding problem with the backdrive cable from the reverse lever on the transmission to the bottom lever on the steering column.

:beer
It's the latter problem where the lock cylinder won't return fully to the lock position. Thanks for the advice - I'll check out the cable.

USNA1969 said:
It's the latter problem where the lock cylinder won't return fully to the lock position. Thanks for the advice - I'll check out the cable.

This is also referred to an "interlock" cable (in case you need to shop around for a replacement).

Thanks JohnZ and fine69. I haven't gotten under the car yet, but when the lock cylinder balks, I can make it work by moving the gear shifter, so I'm really sure the problem is with the cable.d

My 76 does that also, when it sticks I reach down and turn/jiggle the housing of the steering column at the bottom all that lockout stuff is long gone from mine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom