Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'71 Electrical Issue

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
I have a '71 Coupe, base engine (350/270), auto trans that has a strange electrical problem: After a short or long ride I bring it back to my garage and shut it off. However, it doesn't always shut all the way off. If I have the radio on it will continue to play. I will turn the key off and on several times and remove the key from the ignition and the radio (and fan) will continue to run. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I bought a battery cut-off switch after it ran the battery down a couple of times.
Any ideas what's going on here ?
Thanks, and any and all suggestions and replies are appreciated.
Bernie O

You have a bad ignition switch. (would be my guess) Could have even slid on it's adjustment screws .They'll do that sometimes!

Last edited:
Thanks Junkie; sounds like that might be my problem. And, as far as I can tell, a relatively easy fix. Going through some health issues right now, so probably wont get to until some time next week, but will let you know what I find out.
Bernie O

Know about about health problems,Had a heart attack Feb 26 2017,Still not back to 100%. Never will be,Got most of my memory back but my ejection fraction only came back about 28-30% and the only good help I've had in years got killed in a freak construction accident Sept 3rd 2019. I'm just doing what I can to keep going,I don't know what's happened to the young guys that used to want to learn about and repair these cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom