Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm an idiot

J

jedi

So I was replacing the window seals on my Vette. While I was drilling out the rivits the drill got away from me and I drilled a nice little hole in my door. Yes I win for dips$it of the year. Does anyone know how to fix this? Can I do this myself? I bought some filler for the hole and figured I would fill it in sand it and paint it. Is there a better option?
Jack

Your not an idiot.We've all done "things".

As far as repair I think your on the right track or at least i'd do as your doin'

I have a similar window seal project on my list, and so I'll be extra careful. If you patch the hole with a fiberglass repair kit (see link below), keeping the repair area as small as possible, you may just get away with touchup paint. I just ordered a little bottle of bright red from GM, and was impressed with the color match. After a few days of letting the touchup paint dry, I polished the area with very fine compound. Here is a link on repairing corvette fiberglass. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_detailing/article/0,2021,DIY_13684_2278593,00.html

I bought Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty and hope to fill the hole and then use LANGKA Paint Chip repair to paint over the spot. I just have to figure out how to sand it without make the mess bigger. Wish me luck.

I have a similar window seal project on my list, and so I'll be extra careful. If you patch the hole with a fiberglass repair kit (see link below), keeping the repair area as small as possible, you may just get away with touchup paint. I just ordered a little bottle of bright red from GM, and was impressed with the color match. After a few days of letting the touchup paint dry, I polished the area with very fine compound. Here is a link on repairing corvette fiberglass. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_detailing/article/0,2021,DIY_13684_2278593,00.html

Thanks for the link TedC. The whole is less then half the size of a dime so I think this method is going to be too much unless I want to turn this into a bigger project. I am hoping a little spot putty and paint is all I need.

So I was replacing the window seals on my Vette. While I was drilling out the rivits the drill got away from me and I drilled a nice little hole in my door. Yes I win for dips$it of the year. Does anyone know how to fix this? Can I do this myself? I bought some filler for the hole and figured I would fill it in sand it and paint it. Is there a better option?
Jack

Don't sand it. That will make the repair bigger. Do as Tedc suggests, just fill the hole & use touch up paint & polish. Treat it like a rock chip on the hood.

Don't sand it. That will make the repair bigger. Do as Tedc suggests, just fill the hole & use touch up paint & polish. Treat it like a rock chip on the hood.

Sori, I just assumed that the hole ws 1/8" or so. Didn't realize it was that big.

Isn't it a ****er? I was extra careful when i did this job, so i wouldn't do what you did. I do hope that you get it fixed up without too much hassle. Please post pictures after you get it done with details on how you did it.

necessity is the mother of invention!

necessity has forced me to sometimes do some unthinkable things because if there is a will there is a way and my somewhat odd inventions work out usually prettygood. What i would do is take a few rows of wide masking tape. make a hole the same size as your repair in the center. place it over the repair to act as protection. (just like a Dr does when they operate) LOL Then what i like to use for simple repairs is a product called Evercoat Metal glaze. dont worry its plastic its ok for fibrglass comes in 2 colors if it becomes that critical, but anyway i like this stuff because it is extra fine and smooth it is soooo nice to work with. when it dries even the thinnest areas are quite strong. great for feathering hardly no sanding needed, but you are gonna smear it in over top of you masking tape pressing down to get the smoothest possible use small spreader. prior i guess i should have said get a syringe type intriment and fill in your hole.let dry between building it to most of the way filled then use spreader and smooth it out as smooth as possible. before it starts to dry take off tape and reapply fresh tape after the stuff drys (should take 15min or so) something so small you shouldnt need to sand, but if so sand till your satisfied.make sure your tape is thick enough with layers so if you sand you wont go thru. then prime it- buy red primer if you have a choice. sand if again if you like then paint with a natural haired artist brush. if you dont want to brush it on i have fixed many large chips in paint by masking it off with the tape and hole(and take the time to make the hole, i've tried just making the tape criss cross untill it looked like a hole but every time after removing i could see my square corners, so use a paper hole punch for a nice clean circle.) 9 times out of 10 the vehicles i do have a definite match in a spray can from duplicolor (any parts sstore) and spray the color. most of the cans have clear coat within the color it self. but check the can some very few do not. if you need a higher gloss use the duplcolor clear topcoat. this is important note cans of color from duplicolor are laquer 99.9% unless it says enamal its laquer. if you buy a separate clear topcoat make sure it too is clear laquer. use duplicolor sandable primer that works for either- some primer doesnt. that one does. remember small thin coats when spraying because if your tape isnt thick it will run behind the tape, if this happens just take laquer thinner and start the painting process over until it satisfies you. your biggest obstical will be your impatients between coats BEPATIENT LET IT DRY WELL before moving on. and sandind between coats then lastly take off all tape and use 1500 grit paper and small piece and forefinger and feather good paint with new paint , buff with compound and a buffer if you got one or drill kit with buffer attachment $10 bucks usually then take 2000 grit sand again all over feathering edges. then compound.or use polish to make it shiney again. another inportant fact. if you use factory touch up they are usuallyenamal make sure if you go and buy a clear top coat at parts store the CAN SAYS CLEAR ACRYLIC ENAMAL. seems like a lot of work, but i have weeded out about 5 or 6 times that you shouldnt have to do it over. use virgin laquer thinner if you have to start over.
wheeeeew! That about does it.
later
let us know or call me 215-527-2140 if you get nervous.:)

Drill Stop

Sorry to hear about your mistake but the repair answears are very interesting. I can see using them on other paint blemishes.

I would like to share what I did when I replaced my window seals. I wrapped masking tape around the bit to form a stop point for the drill. This kept me from doing what happened to you. Maybe this will help others who might be replacing their window seals.:beer

With moves like that, you call yourself a jedi?:boogie;LOL:rotfl

But seriously that sucks, I have to redue mine also, I might just leave them alone.
And not drive in the rain.

I nearly:puke when I saw the picture, tell everybody it was a drive by. Chicks dig it.:beer

Sorry to hear about your mistake but the repair answears are very interesting. I can see using them on other paint blemishes.

I would like to share what I did when I replaced my window seals. I wrapped masking tape around the bit to form a stop point for the drill. This kept me from doing what happened to you. Maybe this will help others who might be replacing their window seals.:beer
thats a good idear:eek:hnoes

If it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing to my '87. I guess luckily it was right under the side view mirror so it wasn't nearly as obvious. Being younger and there being no internet, I made due the best I could, I filled it with bondo and put some touchup paint over it. It was not a great fix, but it wasn't overly noticeable mainly to it being under the mirror. Live and learn...

For those needing to replace outer window seals, I found this link. http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001/october/window/win-1.asp
Step 7 outlines a way to prevent what Jedi experienced.
07: Using extreme caution, drill out the rivets that retain the window sill. Don’t worry about drilling the entire rivet out for now; just get the head off. We’ll worry about the remainder later.

For those needing to replace outer window seals, I found this link. http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001/october/window/win-1.asp
Step 7 outlines a way to prevent what Jedi experienced.
07: Using extreme caution, drill out the rivets that retain the window sill. Don’t worry about drilling the entire rivet out for now; just get the head off. We’ll worry about the remainder later.

:rotfl Those were the instructions I was following. Getting the "head" off the rivit is more difficult then the instructions lead you to believe.

Non the less, thanks everyone for the suggestions, sympathy, and comments. I'll let you know how the repair turns out.
Jedi

Well, seeing's how you are already a self-admitted idiot why don't you just place a little gob of chewing gum (flavor to match your paint finish) over the hole and be done with it!

Seriously, very sorry to hear about this. I know I would be waay upset at myself for doing this. Personally I'd give it DIY try as you suggest.

I don't know that I'd use bondo or other body fillers

I have boat experience which is where my suggestion comes from. In a similar situation, I would tapper the edges of the hole for bonding strength, back up the hole so material doesn't just fall through. GEt a gel coating kit WITH PIGMENTS AND in the kits I use there is a thicken agent. Don't know whAT THEY CALL IT BUT i REFER TO IT AS FLUFF. It's an ULTRA fine, ultra WHITE DUST THAT MIXES IN WITH THE GELL COAT. Be careful not to thicken too much or you'll have warpage problems later and the repair will probably pop out eventually. I would suggest this because if your finish is good, then you can match the color and complete the repair without painting. Since Vette glass is more porous than most boats, I would suggest cutting your hardener by a drop or two. Just one warning. I've seen novices set their boat and garages on fire mixing gel coat too hot. If you can match the specific gravity or density of the body you'll save yourself trouble down the line. You're not an idiot. I haven't seen you once at any of our meetings.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom