Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm not sure how, but I went off roading in Hrtbeat1's Z15.

zlichus

I went to the corner store and on the way home it started drizzling and before I knew it I was sitting in a grass lot facing a small tree about 15' from the end of a bayou. It's true accidents happen within a mile of home. The location of my truck is the exact position the Vette came to rest at.

The car faired remarkably well considering I somehow took out one 8' Pampas grass bush and completely missed the second one, yet landing 10' away in a straight path.

There are pictures at my Photobucket link. http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/zlichus/Bad Toni/
I had to post the pics on the web because Hrtbeat1 is in the Pacific till July 14th. I hated to tell him that this had happened but would not replace or repair anything on his car without his consent and approval.

I will be posting a WTB thread for the items I need to replace that I haven't been able to locate.

I swapped the black chrome wheels for the factory wheels due to not enough tread remaining to justify remount. The left front tire lost the bead and is the only tire deflated. I think it may have been flat or close to it and caused my demise. I don't remember much except turning left very quickly and bracing for an impact when momentum ceased. I do know that the car left the ground and recall it landing and stopping as quickly as it turned left.

I have collected the Car-O-Liner spec sheets for the car and will be checking the frame hopefully before Gerald gets home. All glass and door gaps are unaffected but front & rear covers are misaligned. Most of what appear to be scuffs are just dirt and disappeared with a wash. There is a crack in the passenger floorboard but I believe it can be repaired. The custom exhaust is also being repaired with the kinked section replaced and properly secured under the car. I backed the car onto the flat bed so the driver could attach the chains and it runs fine just loud as all get out with open headers.

If while browsing the pictures there is something I missed, please pm me so I can prepare for Gerald's return. I don't want to burden him any longer than necessary with repairs.

Thanks Friends, I had a slight tenderness on the left side of my head but for a few days the sciatic had stopped hurting. My head is better but the sciatic is full blown agony almost all the time.

Tony, sorry to hear about your accident but glad you're okay. And sorry to hear about G's CE... but I bet he can fix it up better than ever.

:wJane Ann

Oh, man that terrible. We are glad that you aren't hurt any worse than you are. The car can be fixed, it's just plastic and metal, that can be repaired. I know that Gerald will be home and ready to get the repairs on the way. I don't know what I can do but please let me know if there is anything.

Thank you for your support. Gerald reviewed the parts I located on Ebay and everything looks good as long as I win some auctions. I am going to try and have the bumpers off and have the parts getting painted before he gets in. It is little comfort that I began purchasing wrecked muscle cars at 15, repairing them and flipping for the next recycle. I've had a 68, 69 SS, and 71 Chevelle, a 68 and 71 Camaro, 69 GTO Judge Conv, and a 70 El Camino before I was 21. All of them except the 71 Chevelle were purchased, repaired and sold. I also managed several body shops in New Orleans between 1987 and 1995 before moving to MS. I'm certified to estimate collision damages for State Farm, Allstate, and USAA along with certification from Dupont for Automotive Refinishing. I enjoy working on my own vehicles and last May disassembled my 350Z to tint lights, replace rear cover, powdercoat plenum, cam covers, strut bar brackets, and factory wheels. This year I had the wheels recoated and painted the door handles to mirror the emblems along with replacing the resonators with straight pipe. So I am confident that the Corvette will be better than when purchased. There was prior damage to the front crossmember and lower support piece that I documented at first oil change (Nissan dealership). Having the vehicle on a rack makes inspecting the frame, suspension, and drivetrain more comfortable allowing for more complete diagnosis of needed repairs and preventive maintainence. It was evident that the CE only had required repairs. I know the suspension will be getting attention while on the stands. The wheel bearings were begining to squeal and the bushings are dry rotted. Gerald's schedule and still working on 2 houses prohibited these repairs sooner. He has planned the suspension upgrade and it's unfortunate it will be during the heat of July/August but everything happens for a reason.
Enough of my soapbox, I'm back to prepping wall for sheetrock. It's much cooler to work at night versus during the day so I've gone nocturnal again for the summer.

Sorry. Im relieved that you were not injured Toni. Just upset that my work load has once again increased.

:w

It is never easy to absorb information from emails, pictures, and phone conversations. I just want you to be confident that I did not intend for this accident to happen nor would I jeapordize the CE's integrity. This is an opportunity to make some needed improvements. There is always 2 sides and I am trying to stay positive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom