Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Impossible question on steering wheel shimmy

terrykrueger

Corvette
1987 Not a Sh*tbox anymore
I say impossible because of course you can't diagnose an entire system from a 30 word description, but I thought maybe I could get some pointers in the right direction. Sometimes at speeds >35 <105 I get a back and forth in the wheel like a tire out of balanced. I had them balanced and rotated, but exactly the same. Got it up on jacks and can't seem to find any looseness in the front end. I keep thinking wheel bearings but it seemed tight. Any thoughts?

Have you checked the rotors for warpage ? I assume you are describing a wobble in the wheel. What does it feel like when you step on the brake ?

Glenn
:w

Tires...
They're not really balanced until they're ROADFORCE balanced.
http://www.gsp9700.com/
Most tire shops will leave a set of used tires balanced worse than you had.
This wonderful machine can balance them perfectly. Then you won't wonder if it's the tires or not. It will detect bent wheels, hard spots in the tread, and mate them to pefection.
Read the description of how it works, and use the locator to find a shop in your area. Well worth the time and money.

worn tie rod ends would be first GUESS.

slight tread wear that has produced ''cupping'' of the tire tread edges can also cause ''steering wheel shake''...tire shop that did your balancing SHOULD have noticed if cupping is present, maybe didn't, or is playing for more service bucks...if tread cupping is present, ''very well equipped'' tire shops can ''shave'' the tire tread to make it round again, albeit at loss of rubber/ tire life.

it is common for high perf tires to ''flat spot'' after only a short period of sitting,perhaps only a day or two, and this often takes 5-10 miles of 40-50 mph driving to lose the flat spot...extended storage periods can permanently ''flat spot'' a tire.

would strongly advise against any more ~105 mph shots until the prob is cured.

Aw man I am kicking myself. It was Wally World tire center that did the balancing.

Tires...
They're not really balanced until they're ROADFORCE balanced.
http://www.gsp9700.com/
Most tire shops will leave a set of used tires balanced worse than you had.
This wonderful machine can balance them perfectly. Then you won't wonder if it's the tires or not. It will detect bent wheels, hard spots in the tread, and mate them to pefection.
Read the description of how it works, and use the locator to find a shop in your area. Well worth the time and money.
I'm with Pete here!!!Road Force Balancing has saved me $1000's in time and $ chasing Vibrations in cars I'm getting ready for resale!!
:upthumbs:upthumbs

I would be looking for tread separation too. Mount each wheel on the same front side and spin it. You can fab up a simple runout gauge by clamping a heavy wire (coat hanger) to the wheelwell and have it just touch the tire tread. Spin each wheel in turn and see if there is any contact.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom