Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Indexing Plugs

1995 RedVette

Corvette
1995 Red Coupe *Sold* 1997 Silver Coupe *Sold*
I am nearing the time to do a tune up on my 95 and was wondering if there are any real benifits to indexing the plugs in a fuel injected motor, secondly, how does one properly index plugs. I may be showing a bit of my ignorance here, however, I value the advice and experience here at CAC.

Brett

In my opinion it is a waist of a lot of time. You will not notice any difference. It took me hours to do it in the 89 Vette and I needed to chase one of the spark plug holes because the threads got rounded off. A real PITA.

If you have a total competition race car, getting all the electrodes on the plugs to point in the same direction towards the intake charge may make a minute differance, but thats what raceing is about.

Doing it on a street car?? If you have alot of time to kill..............

I bought a pack of the washers when I was building the engine and never got around to using them. :L

I agree with Warren in that it's basically a racing thing to get the most out of the ignition system. :bu

if you want total hp (negotionable) cut the electrode back also and index them. if your gonna make the trouble to do it do it right ;)

I disagree with you all, unless you're running 8 second cars. I run autolite 104s, stock, with .035 gap, no indexing. 10.48@132 mph :)

Dan

Also, 3 " Hooker long tubes to Flowmasters are definitely recommended, but make sure you open up the top end. She has to breathe to make ponies. Try a BBK Pro-plus throttle body, ported MAF sensor, and if you have the means, port and polish out your heads and intake and stroke your motor. 383 at least, preferably 396. That will get you into low 12s. A good trans (I prefer the 700R4) with a B&M shift kit will run you high 11's on the motor, and if you can do forged pistons with all the amenities (roller rockers/lifters, titanium keepers and such), you'll do even better. Oh, don't forget the 3:75 gears and the 200 hp shot of nitrous :)

Dan

Oh, and the MSN digital 6+ power ignition, window switch, 2-step and line lock. I forgot about that, sorry. You'll be kicking ass on the track in no time!

PSSSSSST....

Don't forget the 236/242 560 lift cam lol

Hey Dan, was the link supposed to take us to a picture or video of the pass, or was it intended as what it is - a mailing link to you? :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom