Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

INFL REST light woes

• Thread starter Thread starter DDSLT5
  • Start date Start date
D

DDSLT5

So, I tore the whole car apart yesterday, to install the HIDs, and to lift the airbag sensors, and clean and grease (dielectrically) and remount. I also cleans all the grounds, and greased them too.

Once done, I reset the codes - and all was well for about 10 minutes - the then light blazed again.

So today, I checked the codes and 16 (for the driver's side sensor) was back again. So I disassembled this side again, and this time placed stars beneath each mount to ensure an good ground. Tore it down, and built it up in under an hour - practice improves your times!!!

Cleared the codes again, and again, after 10 minutes, code 16 returns. So now what? Do I buy a new sensor for the driver's side?

Any help is appreciated.

Dwight

You need to unplug, and replug the actual left hand sensor inside the car. See if the contact points on the plug are dirty, try to clean them the best you can, and snap it back together.

That should do the trick.

If not, it is time to buy a new left sensor.

I say this, because I went through the same thing last year on my 90. It was not until I did what you see above until it stayed out for good. (that is clean the connector).

Thanks 69myway,

I appreciate that advice - now I'll have to track down that connector - hopefully I won't be in traction from crawling up underneath the damn dash!!

Also, while I was reading, I read in the shop manual that the sensors are kinda picky about having exactly 19 lbs ft. of torque, so I'm gonna pull this one again, and put exactly that much torque on it, clean the connector, and I'll let you know what the result is - but once again - THANK YOU - that is a simple thing to do, but it never occcured to me!!

:cool :beer :cool

I think I may have a sensor from a 94 laying around. Your not to far away so if the other fixes dont work you can try this one. Good luck!

65ZR1 said:
I think I may have a sensor from a 94 laying around. Your not to far away so if the other fixes dont work you can try this one. Good luck!

Thanks for the offer man!!!! But God willing, I think I've solved the problem!! I stumbled on a secondary ground for the DERM by serrendipity, cleaned it without knowing what it was, and recieved an email from a nice fellow on the ZR1net who told me that in 90 there was a secondary ground for the DERM (which is what clued me in to my good luck), it was used as a check/failsafe, and didn't impair the airbag at all. Most disconnect the INFL REST light. I believe that cleaning this other ground has solved my problem - before it would throw a code after a few minutes, but now it idled for 25 minutes, twice, without any INFL REST light coming on. I'm praying that this is the solution!!

Ask me at BG if my light ever came back on, I'll be sure to let you know!!

Dwight

69MyWay said:
Dwight,

Where is the secondary ground located?

Ah, the million dollar question - now bear in mind that this is only empirical evidence since I don't have a 90 shop manual to verify this finding - but the one I cleaned is on the leading edge driver's door frame - you can't see it unless you remove the sill cover carpet piece. There are a couple of wires grounded here, and boy o boy were they corroded - lots of white build-up on both star washers, and the bolt.

If I get a chance to meet Gordon Killebrew at BG, I'll ask him if this is the secondary ground for the SIR on the 90, just to be certain!

:cool

Thanks for that info.

I will go there next if my light comes back on. However, since cleaning and replugging the main connector for the left hand sensor under the driver side dash, it has stayed out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom