Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Info on the Zo6 engine

J

johnf

I have attached a copy of an article which has just been released in Australia in one of our Motoring Magazines. It discusses the conversation had with GM exec Gary Cowger on the ZO6 engine being 6.7ltr or 406ci. It says the engine will be built 6.0 and 6.2ltr sizes but the 6.7 supposedly slipped out in the conversation while bragging about the Gen IV. The engine will be built initially in limited numbers around 3000 a year. No other hard facts were given other than GM power train talked freely about the improvements to the Gen IV's valvetrain, cylinder heads and intake manifold. The article is based on Holden Special Vehicles getting the engine and speculating on its use with their future AWD commordore performance sedans. Thought you might find it interesting. I will attach the article when i can get the file size smaller.

With that kind of displacement we better see some absolute massive horsepower....

Maybe it's just me, but increasing displacement to gain horsepower just seems like a cop-out. American cars ALREADY have displacement and torque........let's work on some technology, boys.

Brett

I am with Brett on this one!! 500+ in HP and TQ better be pumping out!!!!

Thanks and looking foward to seeing the article when you can make it happen here.

As far as displacement ...I'm glad to hear its going up and that hp will skyrocket to between 445 and 500 hp...I hear Torque is going up even higher at between 470 and 510 lb/ft.

From what I understand the present ls1 and ls6 motors are extremely efficient hp and torque per pound...

I believe hp/torque per pound is a more vital statistic than hp per liter or cubic inch.

Looking foward to attachment.

JB

johnf said:
I have attached a copy of an article which has just been released in Australia in one of our Motoring Magazines. It discusses the conversation had with GM exec Gary Cowger on the ZO6 engine being 6.7ltr or 406ci. It says the engine will be built 6.0 and 6.2ltr sizes but the 6.7 supposedly slipped out in the conversation while bragging about the Gen IV. The engine will be built initially in limited numbers around 3000 a year. No other hard facts were given other than GM power train talked freely about the improvements to the Gen IV's valvetrain, cylinder heads and intake manifold. The article is based on Holden Special Vehicles getting the engine and speculating on its use with their future AWD commordore performance sedans. Thought you might find it interesting. I will attach the article when i can get the file size smaller.
John,

If you need help with resizing the article, let me know.

You're right, JB, in the end, horsepower per pound is the bottom line, regardless of displacement. However, generally, increasing the size of the engine isn't the greatest for weight, weight distribution, size of the car, and even gas-mileage for that matter.

If they are able to keep the weight the same, or even less than, the current generation of LS's, then rock on, because that IS technology and advancement.

Brett

I agree..the weight and size of the motor is more important for performance than the cubic inches being displaced. IMHo..

I would imagine as hp goes up..the size of brakes..tires..transmission, clutch...chassis strength must go up..

I see ls1 and ls6 technology in the fact of its superior packaging and weight compared to more complex systems such as DOHC..etc..

In Europe...the tax laws are in many ways based off an antiquated (sp) displacement formula.. so thats why theres so much importance based on hp per liter..

BUt here in the US of A we don't care...LOL no tax laws on displacement in this great country.

Europe is so affected by tax law changes...look at what is going on now with diesel sales...since the tax laws shifted to favor diesels...the sales of diesel automobiles have skyrocketed..

This 3100 lb Z06 many of us own with its 400hp OHV motor...covered in sexy composite plastics in a rigid hydroformed steel chassis..makes all the techno..babble DOHC of much of its competition....seem to me ..and many others as a waste of money and just added weight.

The simple variable valve timing planned for the upcoming C6 again gives an interesting cost/benefit analysis.

Should be a winner and I look foward to seeing what fits this gives the corvette tuners.. and what it costs to modify.

This 3100 lb Z06 many of us own with its 400hp OHV motor...covered in sexy composite plastics in a rigid hydroformed steel chassis..makes all the techno..babble DOHC of much of its competition....seem to me ..and many others as a waste of money and just added weight.
[/B]

Hellooooooooooooo. Welcome to reality. I couldn't have said it better!!!:beer

Yeah, I love the common ricer stereotype that "American cars are big and heavy, and Imports are light and full of technology."

Does anyone realize the Z06 severely underweighs the:

Toyota Supra
Nissan Skyline
Mitsubishi Eclipse
(which are all basically the most loved and louded)

.........and all the while pushing 405 horsepower out of an outdated V8, with those two worthless extra cylinders.;LOL

Less weight, with a lot more power? Hmmmm.......

Then after beating them in the overrated straight line drag, you can out-handle them in a course, or at high speeds, when their AWD(Skylines and Imprezas) starts to catch up with them.

ANY car can be quick in straight line.:eyerole

Oh, and did we mention Supras and Skylines cost roughly the same as a Z06? Ouch!:upthumbs

Brett

Re: Article with Info on the Zo6 engine

johnf said:
Thanks Rob for the help with file size.

Thanks Jon!

"The Gen IV V8 has been substantially improved and will develope more power per liter than the current Gen III V8."

That is what we needed to hear!

The LS6 produces 71 horsepower per liter.

If the 6.7 produces even that......it will be putting out 475 hp!

However, they say it will be MORE, so:

Let's be conservative and say the 6.7 produces 75 hp/L. That will be 502 horsepower!

WOW:eek

Looks like the snake is in trouble!:upthumbs

Brett

Technology Angle...

Nope! Can't agree with the "technology" angle on this one. I'd rather they go for bigger displacement in a simpler engine design rather than bump up the technology involved.

Technology = cost. Keep it simple, because if it breaks, it won't cost too much to fix. An engine with high tech will cost a whole lot more if it breaks.

Big displacement, simple design, gut wrenching torque. At a price we can afford. Definately the way to go and stay!!!!

Dazza

i will bet the engine has no insert sleeves like the C5R engine they are runnig this year. they use nicosil cylinders like dirt bikes.

the ZR-1 costs 2X as much to produce as a LS-6 and they both make the same power. GM can put the extra money into other features in the corvette. wait till the 3 valve version comes out.

Brett said:
Yeah, I love the common ricer stereotype that "American cars are big and heavy, and Imports are light and full of technology."

Yeah, some dude with a new V6 Eclipse, some special AWD version, tried to tell me that he could beat Morpheus (my GT's name) because his car was lighter. A quick Google search revealed that his model was 400 pounds heavier than the CONVERTIBLE version of the GT. Two more cylinders, 3.27 gears, 400 pounds less weight, 50 more horsepower, 100 ft/lb more of torque...

Yeah, he'd totally drag me...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom