Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Injector cleaning

rlg

Corvette
1990 White Coupe
Hello again!

I have one bad injector on Drivers side. This injector came in at 4.5 while all others came in at 16.4.

I have 8 used injectors that all ohm at 16.5.

Don't see any reason to replace all.

Is there any advice on cleaning the used injector before I install it?

I know I need the o ring kit.

usually I would get the carb cleaner and have a hay day with the injector.

Thought I might better ask you guys first.

I know what has to come off to replace the injector, anybody know of any steps that I can omit from what the FSM says?

Just curious!!

Thanks

I did mine without removing the runners. There is a procedure floating around that outlines this. I just used a piece of cardboard with a drawing of the plenum, etc, and punched holes in it to store my bolts.
Also, since it's off, clean the throttle body.

There is no reason to change them all if the rest ohm out good, but, when one of mine went, the rest weren't far behind, so it may be best to do them all. It isn't a fun chore to begin with.

gw962,

I remember seeing the post you refer to where you didn't have to remove the runners.

That was what I was fishing for.

When you read so many post's its hard to remember what is true and what you wish were true.

If anyone has this I would appreciate you sending it on.

Did you use "rebuilt" injectors?

I am not big on used parts but the cleaned and flow matched Bosh III are starting to look pretty good to me. I have asked around, diff. mechanics and it seems the Bosh III give just about no problems. The opposite is true of the Multec injectors in your vette .
gw962 is right with the Multec injectors if one goes bad the rest are not far behind. I speak from experience.
SouthBay fuel injectors is a supporting member and comes with a lot of good reviews.You might even ask if they will give you a core credit for your old injectors.

Glenn
:w

I'm not sure which forum I found the procedure in, but the poster was SamLam. I'll have to do some digging, but I may have it saved somewhere. If I find it, I'll PM you the document.

I went with the Bosch III's from Jon at FIC. Rebuilts, but flow matched and calibrated to 22 lbs per hr and they've performed well for me.

I have no experience with SouthBay as noted by GWinter, but I doubt if you'd go wrong with either one.

[B]Hi Guys, we will be more than happy to help you out with whatever you need! Due to a great response, we are extending our sale on injectors and cleaning/flowtesting service to April 15th. So if you are looking to save some money plus get a great product just type in discount code: C11 you will save 10% !! :thumb :thumb

Welcome to SouthBay Fuel Injectors

I will be giving you a call this week with a couple questions. I am on the edge of ordering. I had two injectors go bad three yrs ago and replaced with a couple Accels . I now have two more of the originals with bad coils.

Glenn

fuel injector cleaning

I will be giving you a call this week with a couple questions. I am on the edge of ordering. I had two injectors go bad three yrs ago and replaced with a couple Accels . I now have two more of the originals with bad coils.

Glenn

Ok Glenn look forward to hearing from you!

I would suggest having the 8 you have in your hand sent out for testing and cleaning. After all, just because it ohms out right doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it. This way you can have them flow matched and while you are there, replace all the others in the engine.

For what it's worth, I'll add to the opinion that if you're going to replace one, you should replace them all. I'm not going to repeat the reasons already given, as what the others have said sum it up. My local 'vette mechanic said the same thing and he and his family have 30+ years working on 'vettes. I recently had all mine done. Call me crazy, but I went OEM. Yeah, it cost a lot more, but that's what Chevy put in there to begin with. My '89 runs great now.

For what it's worth, I'll add to the opinion that if you're going to replace one, you should replace them all.

Call me crazy, but I went OEM. Yeah, it cost a lot more, but that's what Chevy put in there to begin with. My '89 runs great now.

I would add the stipulation that I agree as long as there is some mileage on the injectors. IOW, if after 3000 miles, 1 fails, I will replace that one. But if I have had 20K on them, I will replace or at least test them all.

The thing about OEM is that there is no real difference. For instance, when I bought a Ford part for my diesel truck, I could go to the International dealership and get it cheaper because someone made it, sold it to International who marked it up and sold it to Ford. Quite often we see International literature in the Ford box. Just like Fuel injectors. I replaced mine with Bosch injectors since they made it for GM. When I pull it out of the GM box, it also says "Bosch".

I would add the stipulation that I agree as long as there is some mileage on the injectors. IOW, if after 3000 miles, 1 fails, I will replace that one. But if I have had 20K on them, I will replace or at least test them all.

GOOD point! :thumb

The thing about OEM is that there is no real difference. For instance, when I bought a Ford part for my diesel truck, I could go to the International dealership and get it cheaper because someone made it, sold it to International who marked it up and sold it to Ford. Quite often we see International literature in the Ford box. Just like Fuel injectors. I replaced mine with Bosch injectors since they made it for GM. When I pull it out of the GM box, it also says "Bosch".

Gotcha. The main thing I was concerned about was when I read on some of the aftermarket injectors how, they are "1/4 inch higher, but will work"...stuff like that. The injectors that were originally on there lasted a good 20 years, and I figure I couldn't go wrong with them...but my checkbook was screaming a little. I honestly cringed at the cost of OEMs versus a set of Accels and such, but it was just a piece of mind choice I made.

Here is what I decided, I called Jon at FIC and ordered his injectors. This guy knows his Sh*&*&. He modifies the injector where they fit just like the OEM's. When he told me what could happen to the OEM'S with E10 or E85, that was enough for me to take everyones advice and replace all.

And as always, the help everyone gives on this site is fantastic.

Thanks

Here is what I decided, I called Jon at FIC and ordered his injectors. This guy knows his Sh*&*&. He modifies the injector where they fit just like the OEM's. When he told me what could happen to the OEM'S with E10 or E85, that was enough for me to take everyones advice and replace all.

And as always, the help everyone gives on this site is fantastic.

Thanks

I couldn't agree more. I know what you mean about OEM parts - but the Multec injectors (OEM) aren't meant for ethanol - it eats the seals. I just put in Jon's Mustang bosch iii's and love them. I know my old injectors must've been going bad - my mpg went from 15 to 20, and the performance is YOWZAHHHHHHH.

Had an injector fail on "The Beast" and based on advice from other ZR-1 owners (it isn't a matter of if an original injector will fail but when it will fail) I replaced all 16 originals with Accels. Can't help you on the replacement procedure as the LT-5 is a totally different setup.

I just installed the Bosch GenIII injectors I got from FIC on my 88. A noticable difference and the car starts the way it should. I checked the ohm's on the injectors I took out, all were around 15.2 ohms, my problem was leak down......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom