Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Inside rearview mirror

D

DkBG

All the other cars and trucks I've had , have had auto dimming mirrors with a built in compass . I like the auto dim but what I really miss is the compass . I'm thinking about going to a dealer or a boneyard and asking about one . I found one at the Chicago Vettefest but it wasn't out of a Vette and I wasn't sure it would work . Any Ideas ? And , NO , I don't want a suction cup held nasty looking thing like my dad would lagbolt onto the dash !

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
I replaced my mirror with the compass and it works just fine. i have not problems with it. It does take time to install the wires though, but it was worth it.

D

DkBG

Hi Danl Thanks for posting . Did you get a regular Corvette mirror. I thought it just took the pos and neg wires that were already there . What would I be looking at costwise ?

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
I got a Donnelly mirror and it cost about $200. You need to rewire it though because it needs to have power for the compass and auto dim mirror. You will also need a relay if you want the lights to work when you open the doors like it does now.

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Hey Dan, do they make the Donnelly mirror for C4s?

_ken :w

D

DkBG

Thanks for the info . I'll have to think about it .

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
You are very welcome Ken. Any time I can help a fellow CACC member just let me know.

V

vettepilot

Just wondering here, since many GM trucks and cars do have available auto dimming / compass mirrors, can one be retro-fitted into other GM vehicles. I would think the wiring and connectors would be very similar, if not exactly the same.
Just a thought.

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
vettepilot,

The cars without the auto dimming/compass mirrors have a different connector than the cars with them. The connector is for the map lights only. I don't know why this is, but it is. If you get an auto dim/compass mirror, you will need to get a new wiring harness as well.

D

DkBG

Well it took me awhile but I finally broke down and bought a Donnely mirror from lovecars . It took only 6 days from when I ordered it till it came . Installation was a snap and it works great . Thanks for the info Danl72 .

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
DkBG said:
Well it took me awhile but I finally broke down and bought a Donnely mirror from lovecars . It took only 6 days from when I ordered it till it came . Installation was a snap and it works great . Thanks for the info Danl72 .
You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy the new mirror. Did you get the one with the compass and map lights, just the map light, or just the compass?

D

DkBG

I got the one with the compass and map lights . Cliff

danl72

Corvette
2008 C6 Coupe
That's the one I have. It works well and the map lights are brighter than stock. Enjoy it. At least you will never get lost now, just kidding.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom