Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Inside rearview mirror

D

DkBG

All the other cars and trucks I've had , have had auto dimming mirrors with a built in compass . I like the auto dim but what I really miss is the compass . I'm thinking about going to a dealer or a boneyard and asking about one . I found one at the Chicago Vettefest but it wasn't out of a Vette and I wasn't sure it would work . Any Ideas ? And , NO , I don't want a suction cup held nasty looking thing like my dad would lagbolt onto the dash !

I replaced my mirror with the compass and it works just fine. i have not problems with it. It does take time to install the wires though, but it was worth it.

Hi Danl Thanks for posting . Did you get a regular Corvette mirror. I thought it just took the pos and neg wires that were already there . What would I be looking at costwise ?

I got a Donnelly mirror and it cost about $200. You need to rewire it though because it needs to have power for the compass and auto dim mirror. You will also need a relay if you want the lights to work when you open the doors like it does now.

Hey Dan, do they make the Donnelly mirror for C4s?

_ken :w

Thanks for the info . I'll have to think about it .

You are very welcome Ken. Any time I can help a fellow CACC member just let me know.

Just wondering here, since many GM trucks and cars do have available auto dimming / compass mirrors, can one be retro-fitted into other GM vehicles. I would think the wiring and connectors would be very similar, if not exactly the same.
Just a thought.

vettepilot,

The cars without the auto dimming/compass mirrors have a different connector than the cars with them. The connector is for the map lights only. I don't know why this is, but it is. If you get an auto dim/compass mirror, you will need to get a new wiring harness as well.

Well it took me awhile but I finally broke down and bought a Donnely mirror from lovecars . It took only 6 days from when I ordered it till it came . Installation was a snap and it works great . Thanks for the info Danl72 .

DkBG said:
Well it took me awhile but I finally broke down and bought a Donnely mirror from lovecars . It took only 6 days from when I ordered it till it came . Installation was a snap and it works great . Thanks for the info Danl72 .
You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy the new mirror. Did you get the one with the compass and map lights, just the map light, or just the compass?

I got the one with the compass and map lights . Cliff

That's the one I have. It works well and the map lights are brighter than stock. Enjoy it. At least you will never get lost now, just kidding.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom