Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed long tube headers should I wrap the starter?

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I just got done installing long tube headers. I the collector about an inch away from the starter at the closest point. Will the starter have heat sink issues with the clearance I have?

I just got done installing long tube headers. I the collector about an inch away from the starter at the closest point. Will the starter have heat sink issues with the clearance I have?

I had heat issues with my 69 years ago and had headers on at the time. I got a wrap from summit and that helped but I went over the wiring at the starter and found it had been spliced and had bad connections. I soldered the wires, cleaned up the area, installed the wrap and that worked. Prior to that I also found the solenoid starter spring GM came out with for this issue and rebuilt the starter.

I had heat issues with my 69 years ago and had headers on at the time. I got a wrap from summit and that helped but I went over the wiring at the starter and found it had been spliced and had bad connections. I soldered the wires, cleaned up the area, installed the wrap and that worked. Prior to that I also found the solenoid starter spring GM came out with for this issue and rebuilt the starter.

I would like to know what is too close, cause I'm an inch away.

Too close if the starter wires are not shielded in some way

Wrappimg the headers would help reduce underhood temperatures if you did the whole thing. Buying a starter wrap that fastens with Velcro or a strap would be a lot easier to put on. There are lots of different ones available and they don't cost much. As far as keeping the starter cool I can't really say if one is better than the other. I doubt if there is much difference. I might lean towards the starter wrap if you are just looking at wrapping a short piece of header pipe.

Tom

Wrappimg the headers would help reduce underhood temperatures if you did the whole thing. Buying a starter wrap that fastens with Velcro or a strap would be a lot easier to put on. There are lots of different ones available and they don't cost much. As far as keeping the starter cool I can't really say if one is better than the other. I doubt if there is much difference. I might lean towards the starter wrap if you are just looking at wrapping a short piece of header pipe.

Tom

Thank you Tom, I did pick up a starter wrap w/velcro. It seems long enough to wrap it twice, but I can cut to length. Now the fun part is putting it on. I may have to loosen, or remove the starter, but it will be worth the effort.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom