Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed Sirius now my C6 won't start

10mikeymike

What did I do? I'm fairly adept mechanically, but today I installed a SIR-GM1 receiver in my C6 vert and when I went to start it - nothing. All I get is a little click. In addition, I keep getting a display in the DIC that reads "no fobs detected". I turned the lights on and they seem bright. The doors won't open unless I use the mechanical release on the floor. I can't turn the radio on either. I really don't think the battery is discharged. What a bummer. This is one of the last nice weekends I'll get in Michigan before the snow starts to fall.

10mikeymike-
I moved this to the C6 technical section so it will get more C6 traffic.

Welcome to the CAC! :CAC

What did I do? I'm fairly adept mechanically, but today I installed a SIR-GM1 receiver in my C6 vert and when I went to start it - nothing. All I get is a little click. In addition, I keep getting a display in the DIC that reads "no fobs detected". I turned the lights on and they seem bright. The doors won't open unless I use the mechanical release on the floor. I can't turn the radio on either. I really don't think the battery is discharged. What a bummer. This is one of the last nice weekends I'll get in Michigan before the snow starts to fall.

My suggestion is to disconnect the Sirius to be sure its the radio addition causing this....might be something else!!

Contrary to my original post, it turns out that I did have a dead battery. I jumped the car and it started right up. I don't think the installation of the Sirius receiver had anything to do with it other than I had the doors open for a couple of hours. I also installed aluminum gas dead pedals so perhaps having the doors open and the interior lights on caused this to happen.

After jump starting the car I drove it for about 10 minutes and then had the doors open for another 1/2 hour while I vacumed it out. Once again, it wouldn't start until I jumped it. I drove it again for about 20 minutes and then let it sit for a few hours. Afterwards, it started rtight up and has been starting just fine all day today.

Since this happened I've read all of the posts about DBS including yours. Since the car is only 3 weeks old, I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I realize there is a lot of electrical equipment that is constantly drawing on the battery, but I don't think the interior lights should kill the battery after a few hours.

10mm

Yes, you will have approx 20 mins, because its NOT only the lights that are on.
RCDLR, BCM and door control modules are ALL ON when the doors are open.
5 amp draw minimum.
Allthebest, c4c5

If that's the case, I wonder if I really have a problem or, just had the doors open for too long. I made an afternoon of it. I purposely took my time when installing the Sirius receiver and then to install the pedals. Perhaps, the 2 hours or more was all it took with the doors open to drain the battery. maybe a trip to the dealer won't be necessary after all.

10mm

Welcome!

If that's the case, I wonder if I really have a problem or, just had the doors open for too long. I made an afternoon of it. I purposely took my time when installing the Sirius receiver and then to install the pedals. Perhaps, the 2 hours or more was all it took with the doors open to drain the battery. maybe a trip to the dealer won't be necessary after all.

10mm

Do you have a manual or automatic?

I had a DBS episode with my 2005 manual :ugh and bought a Ctek Battery Charger :) . When I'm working on the vette I connect the Ctek to the battery and leave it connected while working, then leave it connected until I get a "green light," meaning, the battery is fully charged. It's a "smart" charger. Here is a link to West Coast Corvettes where you can check it out. It's available elsewhere as well.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=1926

Dave :w

Do you have a manual or automatic?

I had a DBS episode with my 2005 manual :ugh and bought a Ctek Battery Charger :) . When I'm working on the vette I connect the Ctek to the battery and leave it connected while working, then leave it connected until I get a "green light," meaning, the battery is fully charged. It's a "smart" charger. Here is a link to West Coast Corvettes where you can check it out. It's available elsewhere as well.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=1926

Dave :w

Thanks Dave, I took you up on the Ctek Battery Charger. Needless to say, I'm afraid to clean the windows or vacum the car now. Judging by the picture. It looks as though you can connect the two eyelet leads to the terminals and then just plug it in whenever you work on the car.

The car is an automatic and as indicated in an earlier post, I drove it all day - must have shut it off and restarted it at least 6 or 7 times and everything seems fine now. I also haven't had the doors open for extended periods so hopefully, that's all it was. I really that to take the car to the dealer. Tell me I'm not just humoring myself.

10mm

I too was "taken aback" by the DBS episode. Had a 2002 C5 manual for 3 years and never had a problem. Never heard of having to park it in reverse and never did. And never had a battery problem either. So the C6 is a bit of a shock/dissapointment in this regard. In all others, however, it is an amazing machine and I much prefer it over the C5.

Yes, I leave the eyelet leads connected to the battery at all times and just tuck it out of the way when not in use. When charging in the garage I run the leads out the back of the hood by the windshield wiper and either latch the hood or just leave it slightly ajar (down position but unlatched).

Couldn't hurt to have the dealer check it out. That's what the warranty and big sales commision is for, no? :L

Later...Dave

Hi there,
Putting the theory that you need a battery charger,,, why????
Ok, so lets just think this way,,,,,,
First, if your battery goes dead from the DBS, have it diagnosed as to the reason WHY!!!!
There are PCM updates, and other things that can be checked to the reason WHY!!!!
Theory is moot here. Voltage variations can create additional problems that are NOT spoken of here, when a battery charger is installed for extended periods of time.
Heres a solution, disconnect the negative battery cable????
That will solve all your problems if you want to detail your car.
Besides, when you are installing any electrical parts, you should disconnect the battery anyway.
Allthebest, :bang

Hi there,
Putting the theory that you need a battery charger,,, why????
Ok, so lets just think this way,,,,,,
First, if your battery goes dead from the DBS, have it diagnosed as to the reason WHY!!!!
There are PCM updates, and other things that can be checked to the reason WHY!!!!
Theory is moot here. Voltage variations can create additional problems that are NOT spoken of here, when a battery charger is installed for extended periods of time.
Heres a solution, disconnect the negative battery cable????
That will solve all your problems if you want to detail your car.
Besides, when you are installing any electrical parts, you should disconnect the battery anyway.
Allthebest, :bang

c4c5,

You make a valid point about disconnecting the battery when installing anything electrical in the car. Obviously, I didn't do it and was fortunate that didn't cause further problems.

As for the purchase of the trickle charger, I figure I'm going to need one any way when the car sits for extended periods during the Winter months. Also, I'd prefer not to disconnect the battery when detailing or performing other tasks that require the doors be left open since I don't want to lose my memory settings.

As an added measure, I took the car to the dealer this morning and everything checked out. The dealer recommended not leaving the doors open longer than 15 minutes otherwise this could happen again. Thanks for your input. I've enjoyed the exchanges and it's been very helpful!

10mm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom