Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Intake and carb

Jabby

Corvette
1968 roadster
Hi all,

My 1968 roadster is numbers matching with about 66,000 miles. I plan to get the faded paint redone this winter. It has a 327/350hp engine. The Q-jet is my problem. It's not number matching (from an early 1970's 'vette per the numbers). Besides it not being original, the fuel line nut is nearly stripped, the metering rods in the primaries don't stay in well and it appears the plugs on the bottom of the bowl leak. I came to this last conclusion from the following observations: If the car sets for more than a week the carb is empty of gas and needs to crank for a while before it's started. If I drive it two days in a row, it's sort of flooded the second day. I've looked around on the web for fixes and followed one recommending JB weld on the plugs. This worked for a while but the problem is back. I've come the the conclusion that I need a new carb. I've had a replacement Q-jet on order from Corvette Central for about 5 weeks. They've been very good about communicating that the part is on back order, but I've since read posting here that most (all?) rebuilt Q-jets are for sale are junk. I'm about ready to switch to an aluminum intake and a holley.

So, here are my questions:
Will an Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold and Holley carb fit under my stock C3 hood?
Will my stock Q-jet air cleaner work?
What other options do I have?

My goal is to be functional and look as stock as possible. This is the only manifold I've found that incorporates the oil filler tube.

Thanks for reading the post.

I'd keep the existing carb and manifold. Have the carb rebuilt by someone competent like Lars.

Well, that was my original thought. The body of the carb is nearly stripped where the fuel nut threads in. Don't know if that's salvageable. I used to work on these things "back in the day" so I've seen a few.

I wonder if Lars in on line?

Hi all,(snip)

So, here are my questions:
Will an Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold and Holley carb fit under my stock C3 hood?
with a stock LT1 air filter assy it will fit.
Will my stock Q-jet air cleaner work?
No.
What other options do I have?
1) Stock Quadrajet...which is your best choice, provided the carb is calibrated to today's fuel
2) Performer w. Holley
3) Edelbrock Torker II with Holley.

with a stock LT1 air filter assy it will fit.

No.

1) Stock Quadrajet...which is your best choice, provided the carb is calibrated to today's fuel
2) Performer w. Holley
3) Edelbrock Torker II with Holley.

Hey thanks Hib, that's the info I was after. One thing though, does the LT1 air filter base fit the holley with the dual feed or single feed? I don't recall what the LT1 had.

Thanks!

There's no problem properly repairing the stripped inlet threads. The Q-Jet you have, providing it has not been through a commercial rebuilding process, can be set up to run very well on your car.

Lars

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom