Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake manifold

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
Hey everyone, I bought a new intake manifold awhile back and I'm starting to buy new sensors for my car. Well I have two holes in the front of the manifold so my question is, what goes in those holes? Do I simply plug them or do sensors go there?

Hey everyone, I bought a new intake manifold awhile back and I'm starting to buy new sensors for my car. Well I have two holes in the front of the manifold so my question is, what goes in those holes? Do I simply plug them or do sensors go there?

What intake manifold did you buy?

Edelbrock performer 2101. Someone informed me that one of the holes should be occupied by a temperature sensor and to just plug the other hole.

1st of all are you using the stock carb? If so,the stock CCC (computer command control) requires a coolant temp sensor for the system to operate correctly. I installed a 2101 on my car about 8 years ago.However,it only came with 1 hole (left side of intake) and it was to big for the sensor. On top of the intake in the front was a boss to drill and tap for an extra sensor. I had to drill a 37/64 hole and use a 3/8" NPT pipe tap. If you are not using a stock carb than just plug both holes. My guess is the one hole you have is 3/8" NPT and your sensor (if needed) will fit in that one. I've got pictures of mine to share if needed.

:hijackbugs1962...welcome to CAC!!!!
hope you enjoy our forums...
be sure to check the L-81 registry and register your '81.....
if you so desire,stop in the new member introductions and introduce your self...
hijack over

:hijackbugs1962...welcome to CAC!!!!
hope you enjoy our forums...
be sure to check the L-81 registry and register your '81.....
if you so desire,stop in the new member introductions and introduce your self...
hijack over
thanks Bill...I'll do that

As said the first one (big hole) is for the ECM coolant sensor, the smaller second hole is for the EGR or EFE vacuum sensors if I'm correct.

Greetings Peter

Well I have two holes on top of the thermostat housing for the egr and efe sensor but then I have an extra hole on each side of the housing. I'm assuming the temp sensor goes on the left side and I just simply plug the right.

Attachments

• 2012-02-19_18-30-41_33.jpg
    2012-02-19_18-30-41_33.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 2012-02-19_18-28-48_339.jpg
    2012-02-19_18-28-48_339.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 2012-02-19_18-28-03_65.jpg
    2012-02-19_18-28-03_65.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 74
Yes, plug the drivers side and the temp sensor goes into the passengers side. :)

Greetings Peter

both those holes look bigger than 3/8 npt (the thread size of your ecm coolant temp sensor). I had to drill and tap that boss area next to the right hole.

I don't know how yours is setup, but often the hole on the right is tapped for a 1/2" pipe thread and gets a nipple for the heater hose. Temp sensor is usually between cyl 1 and 3 in the left head. Some had another sensor between 6-8 on the right for a fan temp sensor. EFE and EGR went into the t'stat housing.

both those holes look bigger than 3/8 npt (the thread size of your ecm coolant temp sensor). I had to drill and tap that boss area next to the right hole.

I think you're right on the spot, sorry for my misleading post! I couldn't find a picture to check it but the right hole is for the heater return and the temp sensor is somewhere in the middle in a smaller hole.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom