Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interesting info

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
While at the Cruisefest some of us were having a discussion about oil coolers. It was suggested that our cars (early C4's) didn't have oil coolers, or if they did they were aftermarket add ons. I was looking through one of my "souveniers" from the NCM ... I picked up the latest copy of "The Corvette Black Book" ... well I found out that our cars do indeed have oil coolers. It should be listed as RPO KC4. I went out to the car and checked ... sure enough KC4 - engine oil cooler. I thought that the one I had seen on my car looked like it was an original part.

Something else I found out. When looking at the number of cars produced and the VIN's I was really surprised. I had to go back out to the car and check my VIN, as I thought I might have one of the "last" ones. Sure enough according to the VIN's there were only 49 cars built after mine. Not that this really means anything, but its some neat trivia. Now if someone asks is it an early or late model year I can tell them its definately LATE. Not that I've ever been asked. Oh well.

:w

Stock: part of my '84 Z-51 package. :w

Hey Gerry, I was wondering, is your car an early or late model year? :L

i think prior to the lt1 (92) there were coolant lines that fed into an adapter on the oil filter. i know this because that adapter came off along with the oil filter when i changed the oil for the first time on my 91. if im wrong somebody will correct me!

Gerald, how did you find out how many cars were produced after yours? I know mine had the oil cooler too.

regalniz said:
i think prior to the lt1 (92) there were coolant lines that fed into an adapter on the oil filter. i know this because that adapter came off along with the oil filter when i changed the oil for the first time on my 91. if im wrong somebody will correct me!

That was basically my point. When I first got the car I carefully jacked it up at the proper points, used jackstands and changed all the fluids. I noticed the cooler lines, investigated and found the cooler, it all looked stock so I didn't think anything about it. I have seen aftermarket cooler adapters (and seen them come off) mostly around race cars that weren't plumbed for dry sump.

Mike if I would have known then what I know now ... I'd have a Z-51 .... well maybe a Vert w/6speed.:D

Thanks Billy;LOL

Justin the VINS for my year run to 20597 mine is 205xx thats why I had to go and check. It would be pretty cool to have "THE LAST round tail-light Vette" Not me but close.

:w

WhalePirot said:
Stock: part of my '84 Z-51 package. :w

The oil cooler was on all Z51 and Z52 L98 cars. The oil cooler was discontinued with the 1992 introduction of the LT1 and synthetic oil as it was felt that the synthetic oil could handle the temperatures much better. Removal of the oil cooler also meant fewer parts and a reduction in cost.

The LT1 uses two knock sensors so removing the one coolant hose from the driver's side of the block allowed for easy installation of the second knock sensor without having to add another block drain hole.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom