Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interesting one: broken washer pump

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
So ever since I bought my car, the windshield washer hasn't worked. Decided to add some fluid as an obvious first step (the tank is black so you can't see the level). It started pouring out as fast as it went in! Great... getting at the tank is just like getting at the battery :(. Take the thing apart and find out that the end of the pump that screws into the bottom of the tank has broken clean off. Anyone ever seen this? Is it possible to buy just the plastic piece on the end that broke, or does one have to get an entire washer pump? And then, once purchased, how the HECK does one hold the in-tank filter still to be able to screw the pump IN?

Thanks...
[RICHR]

Sorry Bud

No good pix in the shop manual...

I'm useless!

Vig!

Well, that just confirms what we already knew :) :) :).

I did manage to figure out how to re-install it, but my krazy-glue repair job didn't work so I need to get either a new pump or new blue plastic thingy.

Just FYI, the screen that sits in the tank has a 22-mm hex bolt pattern. If you use a deep 22mm socket on a long extension, it's almost a straight shot from the filler tube mouth down to where the pump is fastened, and you can hold the pump in place while rotating the screen with the socket wrench and get it to connect - but you're working blind the whole time.

Thanks for the lookup, though.
[RICHR]

Jeez hope mine doesn't go that sounds like a PITA!

Good luck man:eyerole

Yup, that is the only way I could figure out to replace it. I had to replace the tank (leaking) and had to switch the pump. I got the new tank from one of the vette catalogs, I think they also had the other parts too.

TANK

You must remove the inner fender (yes the whole thing) and the side fender. Two 10mm hold the tank in place. Maybe is not the tank...maybe the washer hose came off, look into that before you buy the tank.

FX3, you didn't read all my post. You don't have to remove the fender lining (at least on my year) - the side fender (like the battery but opposite) is all that's needed. And it's not the hose - it's the pump...
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom