Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior color change

coolvette

Corvette
Gone but not forgotten... 86 & 96 coupes
Hi all.

I am wondering about the most efficient way to change color of the interior in my 96 coupe to a "model year unavailable" color. I really like the arctic white that was available in 92-93, but alas it was not available in 96. I currently have a black interior. Any suggestions as to how to go from black to white? Thanks! :upthumbs

Paul

Don't Bother!!!

Coolvette...

Don't do it!!! I have an '82 that lived the whole of it's life in the Florida sunshine. It had a silver/green interior (quite bright). Everything has gone yellow looking. The vinyl, the leather... the carpets. You name it, it's gone yellow... all because of the sun!

Also, I have stains on the vinyl/leather that just will not budge. The stains have literally soaked in!!!! Not even a brillo pad (wire wool) will get them about. I'm totally p'eed off with the interior. So much so, that I have ordered a complete new interior for it... in charcoal black!!!

I must admit, a nice bright interior does look rather good... but to look after it is a nightmare. One dirty mark that won't wash off and you will be upset too!!!

Trust me! Black is best... it will still look decent in 20 years time... whereas white will look well and truly past it!!!

Cheers
Dazza

Any C4 white interior owners out there?

Any other opinions here? While I'm sure that white will be more work to maintain, black isn't always what it's cracked up to be either. Yes it will hide stains easier, but it can be a chore to keep looking really clean. Dust or small light colored pieces of dirt really stand out, as well as the small pieces of brown dried up grass that passengers occasionally track in. I've had a few cars with black interiors, and while black is nice, I thought I'd try something different (and isn't that what the mods section is all about :D) . If white gives me too much trouble, I'm sure I can always go back :) Any suggestions are welcome.

Paul

your best bet is a local leather shop... I am not sure how easy it would be to swap the seats for 92-93 seats because the controls are different for the power.... The 92-93 has different doors, dash etc. as well, so you can't really just swap it out... you will have to do the whole job custom.

Be careful when it is time to paint any plastic pieces. Just did my door panels, sills and center council. Everyone warned me to make sure I got all of the silicone (armorall) off before I painted. I must have cleaned for a day and a half before I painted and I still had orange peel. The job was alright, BUT just not satisfied.
:r

Good luck
Bob w/jet4rs

jet4rs said:
Be careful when it is time to paint any plastic pieces. Just did my door panels, sills and center council. Everyone warned me to make sure I got all of the silicone (armorall) off before I painted. I must have cleaned for a day and a half before I painted and I still had orange peel. The job was alright, BUT just not satisfied.
:r

Good luck
Bob w/jet4rs

Thanks for the insight Bob. Unfortunately at the moment it is a moot point because I no longer have the car...

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16876

Should I be in the situation again though, I'll keep your comments in mind :)

Paul

Just an idea: Try to locate a salvaged or wrecked 92-93 Corvette with white interior and replace all the interior parts. Another thought, try ecklers/mad and see how many white pieces you could get. It would save you from having to paint black to white (probably pretty hard).

But, after my suggestion, I would have to agree with the rest of the posters here, keep the black interior (i have a 96 black interitor), and it looks great.

Best of luck. Maybe some pics once (if) you finish.
John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom