Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Interior Door Trim

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
The interior door trim on my passanger side door is loose. I looked down between the door and trim peice and found several pieces of fiberglass that the door trim is supposed to hang on. Several of mine are broken off and someone replaced one with a L shaped peice of sheet metal. My question is that can the pieces of fiberglass that the door trim is supposed to hang on be replaced? I could not see if the fork shaped pieces of fiberglass are connected to something that can be replaced or am I looking at replacing half of or the whole the door? :confused

That top edge of the door panel has the up turned edge that the seals and the inner panel "hang" on. If thats what you are talking about, I see the problem. I suppose that a piece of aluminum angle could be riveted on top and shaped to form a new top edge, but it would take a little effort to do it right. A new door frame would be doing it right, but thats a LOT of work to replace all the pieces, hang it, align it, and then paint. Thats probably where you;re headed, because the metal piece on top will eventually come loose again since thats a fiber glass door frame and the top edge is not straight. The edge would have to be in small sections and be riveted and there is just no way that could support the inner door panel and top window seals without getting loose and loosing its shape. Not sure if the seals could ever be tight with such an arrangement.

I'm far from an expert concerning fiberglass...but seems to make sense that you could reconstruct the missing edge by bonding to the remaining part and then sanding a decent edge.
Your problem is rather annoying and at the very least you've made sure I'll be extra careful removing that panel when I replace my window seals.
So thanks for that:thumb

That top edge of the door panel has the up turned edge that the seals and the inner panel "hang" on. If thats what you are talking about, I see the problem. I suppose that a piece of aluminum angle could be riveted on top and shaped to form a new top edge, but it would take a little effort to do it right. A new door frame would be doing it right, but thats a LOT of work to replace all the pieces, hang it, align it, and then paint. Thats probably where you;re headed, because the metal piece on top will eventually come loose again since thats a fiber glass door frame and the top edge is not straight. The edge would have to be in small sections and be riveted and there is just no way that could support the inner door panel and top window seals without getting loose and loosing its shape. Not sure if the seals could ever be tight with such an arrangement.

Does anyone think it would make my problem any worse if I drove the car and used the door? I can't do a whole lot about it now until I get an estimate, but it is killing me to leave the car in the driveway on these spring days! :J

I doubt it'll make it worse...The more I think about it, the more I think a new door frame is in order. Repair of this will take LOTS of work, downtime and then it'll always be shakey at best. An edge just cannot be made strong. Thats a monolithic fiber-glass part that has strength when whole, useless when broken.

I think a whole used door can be had for $500. Lots of guys replace doors instead of repair because a vette expert will see a repair along the doors edges and thats a deal breaker to a top dollar sale. It smells of wreck or accident of some sort.
Go for the drive time...regardless of whats wrong with it,. it'll always be a vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom