Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Dye

milo30

I wanted to go 2 tone on my interior. I tried ordering parts from a custom upholstery sho[ and just too much of a headache because it's a 78 and they can't get the right parts for the year.

The door panels on a 78, I want black with one section on them red. I am thinking about buying red dye and doing the section myself. How well will the dye hold up? I know on new leather seats you need to strip the protective layer away for it to adhere. Is this the same on the door panels also?

The area I want to dye is surrounded by stitching. How hard will it be to keep the colors from bleeding into each other?

Before I go buying and ruining a new panel I thought I'd ask in here first for advise.

I was VERY happy with the spray dye I bought from corvette central (restickered corvette america dye:eyerole). I personally didn't buy a dye primer.

I washed mine thoroughly with soapy water, and then rubbed my panels down with acetone twice. Good results. Probably prep sol, laquer thinner or an automotive wax/grease remover like DX 133 would be a good idea. Just don't skimp on the cleaning; dye will fisheye like crazy if the surfaces aren't spotless.

I would guess bleeding would not be a big deal; it seems to me that the dye would move to the end of the strip and stop, even with the stitching;shrug

OK thanks. I ordered all the new interior and will be giving it a shot as soon as it comes in

I used the rattle can dye from Zip-Products on some vinyl I used for rear speaker enclosures to match the Oyster leather in our 78 silver anniversary. It matched perfectly and was easy to use. Just like any spray "paint", several light coats is best to avoid runs. It dried quickly (15 mins) and the vinyl stayed soft and flexible.

With good masking and light coats, you should do fine.

All sounds good. My parts were shipped today so i'll be starting soon. Going to post some before, during and after pics. A special suprise, I found a conversion kit so I'm also going to be making it a convertible. This should be interesting.

I wanted to go 2 tone on my interior. I tried ordering parts from a custom upholstery sho[ and just too much of a headache because it's a 78 and they can't get the right parts for the year.

The door panels on a 78, I want black with one section on them red. I am thinking about buying red dye and doing the section myself. How well will the dye hold up? I know on new leather seats you need to strip the protective layer away for it to adhere. Is this the same on the door panels also?

The area I want to dye is surrounded by stitching. How hard will it be to keep the colors from bleeding into each other?

Before I go buying and ruining a new panel I thought I'd ask in here first for advise.

Wipe the section you want to paint down with lacquer thinner. That will strip out the oils and allow the paint to stick nicely.

I just finished door panels sunday. Used SEM satin black. Bought the products at my local paint store. Washed panels with dawn liquid soap 2 times and applied sem prep spray. Man did they turn out good. Highly recomend SEM products.

I have used it on all the interior parts to my 76 including the "ugle" steering wheel and it worked great, easy and looks great and is durable.

Cool thats good to know. I was wondering how well it holds up. Unfortunately I think the leather of my steering wheel is getting too rough to just cover up.

Mine steering wheel is not leather so that was not a problem, but I put a wheelskins cover on it and that is a great leather cover looks and feels like factory.

parts and dye arrived yesterday. I'll use the old door panels to practice with the dye.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom