Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Dye

S

SARGE81

Any recommendations on prepping interior parts before I start spraying the dye on?

I am changing the color on the steering column and the hard plastic trim pieces from light gray to black. The guy at the paint store said to use just soap and water for prepping the pieces, but I would like some feedback on other peoples experiences or thoughts before I attempt this. I want to make sure that the dye sticks good and doesn't peel off in a short period of time. Thanks in advance.
Sarge

sarge

I used scotch brite pads to scuff my panels up prior to dying them then used soap and water to clean them, cant tell you how long it will last but I didnt get any runs or fish eyes hope that helps

Denatured alcohol to clean the pieces. Mine is not peeling off though it does seem to scuff up easier than the original pieces with the color molded in. Also seems to work better on the hard plastic rather than the soft plastic.

Bob

As long as we're talking true dye and not paint: After you've used all the previously mentioned prep steps (they're all correct) ... go one step further ... BUT CAREFULLY ... a quick swipe with a lint-free cloth soaked in lacquer thinner softens the plastic & opens the "pores" up ... do it CAREFULLY! Shoot the dye immediately after the thinner flashes off.
JACK:gap

Thanks for the advice guy's! I'm going to attempt this dye job tomorrow.

Jack...this is supposed to be actual dye. They call it SEM dye.

Thanks again guy's. Regards, Sarge:beer

Well the dye job is complete and went fairly well. What a pain in the a$$. The steering column was the biggest pain. I had to redo it 3 times, but it came out flawless along with the rest of the trim pieces.
I just wanted to thank you guy's for the helpful tips.
Sarge:w

Jack said:
lacquer thinner softens the plastic & opens the "pores" up ... do it CAREFULLY! Shoot the dye immediately after the thinner flashes off.
JACK:gap

This is what I was recomended too, and they also told me to use some sand free primer on all surfaces including the leather.

Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom