Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Lights stay on

1HotVette

Hello Folks,

I just bought a 93 Black on Black Coupe. It has a couple of small problems. One of them being the interior lights stay on most of the time. Sometime they act correctly and go off with turning the ignition and other times they don't. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

:w Hello and Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.....Someone will be along soon to answer your question......Enjoy!!

I would start by checking the interior light switch and the two door switches. Sounds like the contacts on one of these are closed (lights on) when they should be open (lights off). You'll need a meter or continuity light. If those are OK, someone on this forum will be able to suggest other steps to isolate the problem.
Hope this helps.

Welcome to CAC!

I don't suppose you're accidently pushing the instrument panel dimmer lever all the way up on the light switch? It's easy to do when you grab the switch and twist.

Ken

It's not uncommon for the door switches to go bad causing this problem. However, if the door switches are okay, it is probably the Timer Module.

Besided the other ideas, check the hatch switch. I've had mine become unaligned.

light timer maybe?

My 90 model started doing that, it turned out to be the timer. My mechanic said that the interior light timer in C4's is prone to overheating if you leave the door open for 10 or more minutes.

Two big Welcomes to 1HotVette and wilezcoyote. Hope you find your experiences here enjoyable, the CAC is the best forum (especially vettes) on the net.

GeorgeT said:
It's not uncommon for the door switches to go bad causing this problem. However, if the door switches are okay, it is probably the Timer Module.
Does anyone know where to purchase one of these timers. I have a similar problem with my 84 where the lights just won't come on when I open the doors but they do when I turn them on manually. The lights in the hatch come on when the hatch is open, but that is all.

I have noticed some things on the interior lights, such as when I roll the passenger window down, the lights come on. I have not had the time to pull the panel off yet and investigate, but I will soon and let you know.

Gary

the delay went bad in my '87 and the chevy garage said they are discontinued. i am taking it to a friend and will see if he can replace the resistor that makes it work. if it is a success or not i will post the results

Hey Corvetterider84,

None of the catalog houses that I know of were able to supply this module. After a dozen calls to salvage yards around the country I finally found one at Dino's Corvette Salvage for $75. After replacing the module my courtesy lights work fine now.

http://www.corvettesalvage.com/

Hope this helps,

Hey Corvetterider84,

A few more thoughts. In the 84, probably most C4's, the Delay timer controls the courtesy lights and the door mounted hatch release switches. The "Timer" function keeps the courtesy lights on and allows you to use the door mounted hatch release switches while the door(s) is open, and for 30 seconds after the door is closed.

If you are unable to find the timer module, and/or don't care about the 30 second delay, you can jumper around the timer module. This will defeat the 30 second delay, but otherwise restore normal courtesy light and door mounted hatch release switch operation.

To do this, find the timer module. I did this by removing the passenger-side black plastic footwell cover. While laying on your back look straight up under the dash and you should see the "L" shaped black plastic timer module taped to the main harness. The module has white, black, pink/blk, and pink/wht wires in its connector.

Identify the black and white wires going to the module, and splice them together.

I was close to doing exactly this when I found a used module at Dino's. If it fails again this is the route I'll go.

Hope this helps.

Identify the black and white wires going to the module, and splice them together.

I was close to doing exactly this when I found a used module at Dino's. If it fails again this is the route I'll go.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna give that a try rather than buying the new module. I don't really care about the delay and would just like to have the lights come on when the doors are open. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.:beer

I found this old thread when searching answers to interior light problems.

The forum has been already very helpful :w , I found the delay timer module from under the dash (spent all day dismantling dashboard to get access to timer) and bypassed the module as Bugger84 explained, but, still no light at rear cargo compartment. Also spare tire light does not work. Interior lights at door panels and under the dash do work when turned on from the headlight switch.

My next guess would be that the diode module in the courtesy light circuit has failed? But how does the diode module work? When I check the cargo compartment lamp (and spare tire lamp) wires with test light, there is current in both orange and white wires?

And is the module still available from parts vendors?

I do have the shop manual with wiring diagrams but I am still a bit confused what to check next :confused

What fixed my car was the door locks. They weren't returning to straight up and was keeping the lights on. As long as I make sure to return the locks to straight up and down, the lights act normal.

Interior Light Timer Module

Reading about the timer module and it is unclear if the 1996 has the same setup as earlier C4's. Spoke to several Corvette salvage places and they are not sure. Who might be able to "zero in" on the 1996?

There is a a common and much easier to check potential reason for the interior lights staying on........ check your door lock cylinders. If they are not completely vertical, the lights will stay on. So check the key holes and make sure they are not at an angle.....if they are even somewhat out of vertical, the lights will stay on!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom