Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Lights

B

Blk96LT1

My interior lights keep flashing on and off. When I turn the dimmer switch on they stay on. But when switched off they continue to flicker. Anybody with any ideas on where to start. I think the hatch and door switches are ok. Could be the dimmer switch itself. ANy help would be appreciated. Great site BTW

Blk96LT1 said:
My interior lights keep flashing on and off. When I turn the dimmer switch on they stay on. But when switched off they continue to flicker. Anybody with any ideas on where to start. I think the hatch and door switches are ok. Could be the dimmer switch itself. ANy help would be appreciated. Great site BTW

IS this with the hatch and doors closed or open?

Might be a problem with the CCM, since the lights are controlled by the door switches VIA the CCM. You may also have a bad Courtesy Light Relay as well or a loose ground for the CCM and relay.

thanks for the info so quick Jeff. It happens with the doors and hatch closed, however the lights are still on right now while I am out of the car. squirrely. thanks

could still be the relay.. I would try that first

Sounds like door switches to me. Take a dime & duct tape it to the b pillar where the door/ajar switches contact. Close door gently & see if that helps. Thoses switches are adjustable, but easy to break. You can shoot a little contact cleaner on em' & then exercise em'

Thanks you guys. Haven't been here 'cause of the holiday. Will try both your suggestions. Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Ok the deal with the dimes didn't seem to do any good, thanks though. So I guess I need to start fiddleing around with the Relay and /or CCM. However, I don't have a clue as to where I can find either, Chilton's and Haynes are no help. any direction would be appreciated. Thanks also my PKE has stopped working...could it be the batteries in the transmitter? Could it be related?
Greg

Actually, you might be having the same problem I had... The wires that go to the switches chaffed against the metal frame under the dash. Remove the switches and gently pull the wires out and see if the insulation is is still intact. I found this out when my drivers door no longer set off the security light when the door opened after I shut her down. I found the wire had been chewed in two. So I got some shrink tubing, spliced the wires back together and covered them. Now it works like new again....

There is a procedure for interrogating the CCM. However, you are OBD II & I don't know if its the same as my 95. If you know anyone with a factory manual for 96, or if someone on the forum has one
available you shud be able to check the CCM & PKE systems functions. I assume you checked the PKE & RDO/IGN fuses?

Do you have an owners manual?

Thank you both Eagle and Rabbit.
Rabbit, are you referencing the switch on the door or door jamb. The switches in the door I tried too remove to look at but had no success. do I have to remove the door panel to get at the wiring?

Eagle, fuses are fine and I do have an owners manual. Also, I noticed today a number of swithces on the heating/AC console operate sporadically.

Thanks all

I was speaking of the switches in the door jamb....they are the ones that turn on the interior lights as well as the security light on the panel. There are three wires to each switch....

You shud be able to check the function of the door ajar switches, on the door , by manually holding them in & seeiing what happens.

If its necessary to remove the door ajar switches you can do it without removing the door panel.

1. Remove bottom screw. Replace it with a slightly longer one which will hold the backing plate when you remove the top screw.
2. Remove upper screw. Rotate switch until you can put the upper screw back in the door to hold the backing plate. Remove switch. etc. Reinstall is reverse.
If you drop the backing plate, plan on spending some time trying to fish it out with a piece of wire, which is still better than removing the door panel.

Is your PKE still inop?:J

Reading your notes on the interior lights, I am wondering if this may be related to a problem I am recently having.

My battery is going dead after a few days and I was able to determine that my interior light fuse was the culprit.

There is quite a bit of current, when I disconnected my negative battery cable and hooked a test light up to it.
When I disconnected the 20amp interior light fuse, the current leakage was next to nothing.

All of my interior lights are turned off.

Any ideas where I could start looking?

Having same problem. Rain related.

I am going to get to the bottom of this shortly. Stared when my 90 coupe was exposed to heavy rains the other day. My alarm also was going off after a few minutes. If you can't get the threaded back plate behind the door switch back, just insert the proper size plastic molly into each screw hole and screw the switch back in to the door.

Good luck,

Marathoner

Well I checked the switches in the door. Dropped one back plate,

bee-atch to fish out. Found no chaffing. Door ajar indicator goes off when switch is depressed.

My PKE mysteriously started working again a few days ago.

However, another goofy electical problem has arose. My alarm goes off just about whenever it wants.

Any more ideas. I appreciate everyones help.

I'll toss this out since I didn't see it already. I had the same problem when I had my '86.

Turned out that the plate the switch mounts on for the rear hatch needed shimmed a few thou to push the plunger closer to the hatch a bit.

Might be worth a try.

Good luck
Tracy

Interior lights

Ok, so I'm an idiot and you Gixster are a genius, I spent all this time fiddling around with the door switches when indeed it was the hatch switch. I shimmed it up with a couple of washers and Presto Chango no more problems Thanks to all of you for your insight.

Achem's Razor: All things being equal the simplest explanation is usually the right one!

I agree with some of the others. The light switches actually complete the ground circuit, and you have got to have a chaffed wire somewhere, allowing an intermittent ground. that would also set off the alarm. Easiest way to find it would be to use a wiring diagram and find where the ground wire in the switches originate, then disable one at a time. It will show up.

good luck, post what you find!

Regards,

Another interior light issue..

I'm having a similar issue.

.i just purchased a '96 LT4.

I have 2 similar issues.
first...
the interior footwell sand hatch lights only go on via the headlight dimmer switch.
I've gone thru the typical causes. Ie:door/hatch pin switches.
And everything is in working order.
This is my first OBDII C4.
ive scanned the system looking for anything that may solve this issue.
with no solution thus far. And my older snap on brick doesn't go deep enough and communicate with the CCM.
Im aware the sensor on the dash is only for temperature. Not light control.
i don't have the shop manuals on this model. And have been told that the courtesy lights are controlled by an light sensor. So They only go on when needed.
Location of this sensor???
could a bad dimmer module cause this?

i also have a issue with the electronic A/C not redirecting air flow from the defrost and floor. Ie..
Fail safe mode
I U Tubed this and found that it most likely is a vacuum leak under the passenger dash going from the head unit to the vent door/vent selector accumulator.
anyone else xoeriencing this?

any and all suggestions would be greatful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom