Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior restoration, weather stripping

spyysee

Corvette
1987 black beauty, all ez mods, owned '62,'78
I need to replace the weather stripping.
I'm pretty handy but really don't know what's entailed.
OEM? Aftermarket?

also, do the seats need to be removed to replace the carpet?

Mid America or ..?
Your thoughts and comments.

Not too sure how difficult doing the weather stripping job is, but I've heard it can be a PITA. As far as carpet installation is concerned, you will need to remove the seats to install the front carpet.:w

spyysee said:
I need to replace the weather stripping.
I'm pretty handy but really don't know what's entailed.
OEM? Aftermarket?

also, do the seats need to be removed to replace the carpet?

Mid America or ..?
Your thoughts and comments.
I would stick with genuine GM weatherstripping..YOu can order it at http://www.tld-corvette.com/ (make sure you tell them you want GM and only GM) its softer. The worst part about installing the weatherstripping is getting the old stuff off and cleaning. The seats come out by removeing 4 bolts on each seat and unplugging the connection. (take out the bottom cushion first...makes it easier...just look under the front of the seat...push back the small silver bar and lift the cushion out)

I replaced the over-the-back weatherstrip on my C4 this past weekend. Getting the weatherstrip off intact proved impossible. Most of it came off in little tiny bits and pieces, some of which had to be pulled out with needle nose pliers. It took about three hours to remove the old weatherstrip. 3M adhesive release agent is a must, I got a big can of it at my local NAPA dealer but had to special order it. Be careful not to let it drip into your interior. Once you get all of the old weatherstrip out, installing the new weatherstrip is cake. I used original equipment GM and it fit perfectly, took only 15 minutes to install. You have to push it down into it's track, I did it with an old table knife. I used 3m black adhesive on the sides. Did the automatic high pressure car wash test and am happy to report no leaks. Good luck, this job requires minimal skill but lots of patience. Don't even think about trying it if you are in a hurry.

Lew

It took me about a week to install new carpet, and I took my time doing it. Every tiny little thing that you can think of needs to come out of the interior including the seats. I put everything in ziploc bags and labeled them because there are so many screws and little trim pieces. There is also cutting and gluing involved with new carpet.

As far as w/s, I put a new piece into the rear hatch and it was easy, but I don't know about the other pieces.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom