Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior spray paint supplier???

srs244

Corvette
1978 pace car, 04 CE convert
i am about to start on the complete replacement of the interior on my '78 pace car. i am replacing everything back to all the walls (so to speak). my steering column needs to be freshened up a bit (like a complete repaint, lol), but i can't seem to find anyone that sells the correct silver paint in a spray can. each place i have checked, has interior vinyl paint (interior dye), but not regular interior correct paint.

any suggestions as to where to look??
thanks

steve

bluewasp, perhaps you have a secret key to the vault over there at zip, but when i search for interior paint, paint, or just about anything else related to paint, all i can come up with is interior "dye" which of course is for restoring seats and trim (plastic) stuff. it is not designed for body or mechanical type restoration projects like a steering column. if you have found interior "paint" in a spray can, i sure would appreciate a link to the location.

thanks
steve

bluewasp, perhaps you have a secret key to the vault over there at zip, but when i search for interior paint, paint, or just about anything else related to paint, all i can come up with is interior "dye" which of course is for restoring seats and trim (plastic) stuff. it is not designed for body or mechanical type restoration projects like a steering column. if you have found interior "paint" in a spray can, i sure would appreciate a link to the location.

thanks
steve

Give them a call. I know they have paint in a spray can because I've bought several cans for my 1980.

give them a call and let me know what they say.

bluewasp,
sorry, but as i indicated they do not have anything in the way of interior touch up paint in any form what so ever. that information is directly from their sales department via telephone.

that still leads me back to my original questions...............can anyone give me a suggestion as to what to use and where to get it??? once again, spray can preferred.

Well thats odd. I bought the can 3 years ago so maybe they stop selling it. hmm... I'll see if I can find my receipt.

I don't know about Silver but for my doeskin on my '79 s/column, I used a spray can of a Rustoleum color (Sand) that was a very good match. I completely stripped the column first, primed it and then painted it. Since it was only sold as a Gloss paint I used a Matte finish clear coat on top of the paint to take away the shine.
Hope this helps..

I used the same (dye) that I put on the vinyl parts on my steering column and it came out looking great! It's a perfect match for the original interior color of the car. It dried just like paint and the column looks like brand new. I got it from Zip about 7 months ago. I just primered it with a light gray standard primer.

Go to any automotive paint supplier. Ask them for SEM interior/dye paint. They should be able to mix a quart of Pace Car interior silver. You will need a compressor and spray gun for this type of application, but neither need be a major expense. A few places may be able to provide a spray-can application for you.
:)

art
thanks for that info. i was hoping that someone might have tried that. i appreciate your input. it seems like the logical way to go.

mike
thanks, i have all of that, but for a job as small as a column, i really didn't want to fool with the full blown set up, hence the spray can info request. as an FYI, eckler's actually sells the vinyl "die" in quart cans, so if you wanted to go that route, that would be the easy solution to find the product.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom