Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Temperature

Sounds Great

I have done alot of low temperature, low RH applications for Pharmaceutical companies that need precise temperature control so that their gel coating process will apply to whatever drug they are manufacturing. It is unreal the amount of money they will spend to beat another company to market, find out later that they were too late, and demolish the whole system. Alot of nice equipment gets put in out back in the rear of the building just to get rained on. Thank god it's stainless steel.................ha ha ha.

Todd:
I really think we have a good connection and maybe we can help each other. Why don't you visit www.siennapartners.com and let's if we can make a better connection. By the way I lived in Foxboro for 15 years.
Tom

Tomrw

I just payed a visit to your website. I believe we have quite alot to talk about. I can contact you next week by phone to see how we can expand your engineering services.
Thanks.

Todd:
That works for me!!!
Tom
:Cool

I know that this is a very old thread, but others may find this information valuable.

As you know, the primary contributor to heat in the vehicle comes from the exhaust tubes in the tunnel.

You can install a heat barrier (there are many types) between the floor / tunnel sides and the carpet, but this adds bulk to an already space-challenged situation, and eventually the insulation material heats up and begins to radiate heat on its own.

You really need some method for removing the heat mechanically.

If you take a look at where the mufflers and cat converters are located, you will see that GM has installed metal heat shields that are spaced away from the surface that they are protecting.

The air space allows for a mechanical removal of heat (as the vehicle is driven) instead of attempting to block the heat with insulation.

So, following the GM engineered model, I crafted an aluminum plate to surround the exhaust (on three sides) while still leaving a 3/8" air space between the plate and the tunnel sides and the tunnel closeout panel.

Designing the plate and having it fabricated was a little tricky, but there is adequate room if you measure carefully.

I took heat measurements at the base of the tunnel before and after I installed the shield and I measured a 30 degree heat reduction under medium load conditions (driving in hilly areas) and a 20 degree heat reduction when cruising (flat roads).

If you are interested in more detailed information, send me a PM and I will share more.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom