Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intermittent Idle Problem

V

Vdaddy

Recently finished rebuilding my 93 LT1 and have found that I now have an intermittent idle problem. Sometimes the car will start right up and idle fine, other times it won't idle at all, but will run at low rpms if I keep my foot on the throttle. Sometimes if I turn it off and restart it it's fine, other times not. No correlation to cold or warm start, outside temperature, etc. that I can see.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

My ideas are

Opti Spark
Vaccum Leak
Pistion not firing (on and off) See Opti spark hehe
Codes in computer havent been laid in yet (how many time have you ran your car (turned on turned off))

I've run the car for several hundred miles over the last 3 weeks or so. Would a vacuum leak come and go? Would the OBD I system report cylinders that misfire (I know OBD II does)?

Ok that clears the Computer Issue.

As for the Vac leak Ya! Could be a bent line with a small hole or really anything.

I get the car to idle rough then pop the hood and listen and play/search the Vac lines just to clear that possibiltiy.

Other than that (I dont know enough about them) but Ive heard "Mysterious" things about the Optispark. If you find the Vac lines in tact just have the car put on a scope they'll pbly find it out right away.

Also if you have a code Scanner see what it says mabe its something like your IAC working sometimes and sometimes not (Gunk in the chamber)

Thanks, Big Red. I'll take a closer look for vacuum leaks.

My step sons Pontiac was doing something similar. Turned out to be a bunch of crispy plug wires. Sometimes they would conduct just fine. Other times they would arc to the block and misfire like crazy. Poor idle and no power. Best way to check plug wires is on a dark night start the car and look at the wires in pitch blackness. Blip the throttle a little and watch. If you see a nice light show time for new wires.

Hope you find it.

Did you follow the recommened procedure for setting the base on the idle/idle air motor? Did you remove the idle air motor and clean out the throttle body? If so, it may not be setting back down right, or it is sticking on some goopey stuff in there.

Take it out, clean it all out, flush the t/b with good cleaner. Don't drip cleaner all over your opti spark.

Go back and follow the standard procedure for setting base idle. You will be back in business in no time.

My 92 did this I replaced the Iac motor(valve) in the throttle body and that fixed mine. you might try cleaning it mine was black from carbon. If you do replace it you have to reset it turn key on (do not start) for 5 secs off for ten secs and it is done. You will need a 1 1/4 in socket to remove. Hope this helps.

Just to tie this off, if anybody is interested.

I removed the Idle Air Control motor/valve, sprayed the hole in the throttle body really good with carb cleaner and ran a brush through it a few times, cleaned off the pintle with carb cleaner (don't move the pintle), put it back together and it's now running fine.

Thanks "69MyWay" and everybody that helped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom