Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: iPhone/iPod Connection

berry1133@bellsouth.net

I have a '93 Ruby and there is an accessory plug in the center console. Has anyone used this to connect to an iPhone/ iPod? If so, what product did you use to make the conversion. I want to keep my factory radio and have the ability to use my iPhone for music. I did this on my C6 Z06.
Thanks.

Not sure if it is what you want but, ever look into a fm modulator, it sends a fm signal and you can tune in the station on your radio.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy SIII

How's the clarity with this. I know that this was an option when the iPods were first launched. The reception was terrible in certain areas.

Some are quite good. I would read reviews before buying one to see how each brand worked for others. Some are much better than others.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy SIII

I use an fm modulator with my Droid works great. All of them are subject to some distortion,but in a corvette with a great exhaust who cares? vette-01.jpg

The accessory plug you speak of is probably the lighter socket. Since you have a factory radio, you have a cassette player. I use one of those cassette to CD adapters from the 90s. It works great without the distortion the FM transmitters can have. I purchased one from walmart for ~10 bucks. :thumb

When you say probably, are you saying that you are not sure about the accessory plug and taking a best guess? Or, do you know for a fact? I am looking for someone who has utilized the accessory plug to connect to am iPhone.

When you say probably, are you saying that you are not sure about the accessory plug and taking a best guess? Or, do you know for a fact? I am looking for someone who has utilized the accessory plug to connect to am iPhone.

Pretty sure the factory did not put accessory plugs in cars until around 2005 or later. This may be aftermarket. I've had great experience with cassette adapter's. I think they are cleaner sounding then the radio transmitter adapters.

There are more expensive adapters available, but for the price of the cassette adapter, you won't be sorry. I think they can be had for around $10.

Sorry I can't comment on your accessory plug.

Have fun... :happyanim:

Ok, from reading my owners manual, their are wire connections for a accessory plug under the cup holder. Those wires are a straight connection to the battery or an ignition only 12v/10amp power feed for CBs and some old stationary car phones. This will not work for any device that is USB powered. You would be better off getting a 12v to USB 5v power adapter for a car lighter socket and using the cassette to CD adapter from Wal-Mart.

Ok, from reading my owners manual, their are wire connections for a accessory plug under the cup holder. Those wires are a straight connection to the battery or an ignition only 12v/10amp power feed for CBs and some old stationary car phones. This will not work for any device that is USB powered. You would be better off getting a 12v to USB 5v power adapter for a car lighter socket and using the cassette to CD adapter from Wal-Mart.

Good clarification.

Yes, there is a 12 volt "accessory plug" power tap under the coin holder that can be used to access either switched or continuous 12 volt power. I interpreted what was being asked as referencing an accessory plug (perhaps 3.5MM) which directed output to the radio because we were discussing how to connect an iPod to the radio. This tap provides 12 volt power to some devise and has nothing to do with sending sound to the radio for playback as music.

This "accessory plug" is referenced in the owners manual (page 2-52) and the wires should carry a tag explaining proper hookup.

I would agree with your thoughts on supplying power via a USB adapter through the lighter plug.

Regards,

Thanks guys. This does answer my question. I was thinking "accessory" meant that I could attach an external audio component that would synch up with the radio. It makes since now that its just a power supply.
Thanks for your assistance.

Just to clear up the plug you have on the counsol If it is the one I am using in this picture thenit is what we called a cigar light or cigerette lighter gigarplug002.jpg

In addition to the cigarette lighter, there is an additional 12v plug underneath the center console. You have to remove the console to access it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom