Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

iPod through aux on factory Delco stereo

jrizz1 said:
The article in the magazine does give some minor faults that do come up sometimes, but if you install the Ipod in the center consol they are quick to remedy while driving. I just installed this last weekend. It took about two hours.

Have you had any problems with it personally??

Do the adaptors mentioned aboue use a common Din connector?

attachment.php

reubenmc said:
Have you had any problems with it personally??
You MUST upgrade your iPOD's software to the latest version if you have a 3rd generation iPOD. You may have to play with buttons on the stereo in order to get sound if you don't. Also it's about 50/50 that the iPOD turns on and off when you start and stop the car but to me those are minor annoyances. The sound through the unit is superb. You still get the occasional noise when the HD spins up in the unit, but you usually get that through headphones anyway.

My 03 has an aux button on the head unit but both the cd and the changer work thru the cd button. Can the ipod be wired directly to the head unit and avoid disconnecting the cd changer?

Why would you use an iPod AND a changer? The iPod eliminates the need for the changer.

I've had this setup in my car for the last six months, using an iPod mini. The only problem I've had is the head unit interface with the iPod doesn't always advance or backup tracks when you tell it to thru the head unit. I installed an iPod wired remote and use it to switch tracks. If someone comes out with a wireless RF remote, I'm buying it.

The sound quality is exactly what you'd expect. It sounds like you plugged your iPod into your home stereo. No FM modulating hissing, nothing. I'd use this setup to compete in a sound quality competition. The sound reproduction matches the head unit's CD player. You'd never tell the difference. And you'd have days worth of music on a roadtrip (did 6000 miles last month. The iPod was a Godsend).

jhiiidoc said:
Why would you use an iPod AND a changer? The iPod eliminates the need for the changer.

I've had this setup in my car for the last six months, using an iPod mini. The only problem I've had is the head unit interface with the iPod doesn't always advance or backup tracks when you tell it to thru the head unit. I installed an iPod wired remote and use it to switch tracks. If someone comes out with a wireless RF remote, I'm buying it.

The sound quality is exactly what you'd expect. It sounds like you plugged your iPod into your home stereo. No FM modulating hissing, nothing. I'd use this setup to compete in a sound quality competition. The sound reproduction matches the head unit's CD player. You'd never tell the difference. And you'd have days worth of music on a roadtrip (did 6000 miles last month. The iPod was a Godsend).

Why....because I want to.

jhiiidoc said:
Whatever floats your boat.

Can you say, "redundant"?

Hey whatever floats YOUR boat. Your opinion isn't really important is it now?

Personally, I want cd's and an ipod. Call me spoiled but if i want to listen to an entire cd i don't want to download it and save it to an ipod.

So now, does anyone have anything important to add?

BLACK MOON said:
Hey whatever floats YOUR boat. Your opinion isn't really important is it now?

Personally, I want cd's and an ipod. Call me spoiled but if i want to listen to an entire cd i don't want to download it and save it to an ipod.

Yup...sure do.

The idea behind the CAC, and forums like it, is so that people can illicit different OPINIONS about a subject. So although YOU may think that only YOUR opinion matters, others may not. My opinion may not matter to you, but it may matter to someone else. I simply stated the obvious which is that using a cd changer and an iPod is redundant. Don't take it personal. If it works for you, great. But don't get sensitive when someone doesn't agree with you. It's bound to happen, so live with it, and get over it.

Now that the two of us have managed to hijack the thread in our little tit-for-tat, let's just shut up and hear what the rest of the crowd has to offer to the subject. Cause I believe that everyone 's opinion, as long as it is an informed opinion, matters. Wouldn't you agree?
:w buh-bye

BLACK MOON said:

Actually, yes! I'm not sure how this thread became the tit-for-tat that is appears to be but it needs to get back on track. I hate it when a tech thread degenerates like this. Cut the needless bickering before it degererates more. Nothing worse than having to shut down a thread like this.

Sharon, did you ever figure anything about getting your iPod to work in your vette??

Eric said:
Actually, yes! I'm not sure how this thread became the tit-for-tat that is appears to be but it needs to get back on track. I hate it when a tech thread degenerates like this. Cut the needless bickering before it degererates more. Nothing worse than having to shut down a thread like this.

Actually, i'm not trying to start anything and i'm not being hateful in any way. Your statement about using a cd and an ipod as being redundant is frankly stupid. Its like saying that the radio and the cd are redundant. I don't come on this board and call peoples ideas redundant implying stupid so as i was taught, if you don't have anything useful or intelligent to say please be quiet. Eric, if you have a problem with this response I'm sorry. My original question was 'since my head unit has an 'aux' button can anyone tell me how to use this feature to hook up an ipod?' I want to utilize the feature without disconnecting my 12 disk changer. Help was requested not sarcastic comments. Hopefully you, Eric, and some of the seasoned members can appreciate my expectations.

Thanks
Sal

67HEAVEN said:
Okay, let's try again.

:grouphug:

Thanks 67Heaven.
The cd button on my head unit controls the single cd and the changer. The aux button controls nothing. My question is; has anyone removed their head unit and is there an 'aux' input in the rear of the unit? The link provided early in the thread is very helpful but describes the installation in a Chev Tahoe. I'd just like to know if anyone has investigated this option rather than eliminating their changer.

BLACK MOON said:
Thanks 67Heaven.
The cd button on my head unit controls the single cd and the changer. The aux button controls nothing. My question is; has anyone removed their head unit and is there an 'aux' input in the rear of the unit? The link provided early in the thread is very helpful but describes the installation in a Chev Tahoe. I'd just like to know if anyone has investigated this option rather than eliminating their changer.

I would like to know also, my CD skips with the Z51 suspension. I remember somewhere in the manual it says the AUX button allows the CD to use a adapter for the IPOD or player
several good reasons to have both are the "instant gratification" that comes from loading a new CD and listening to it on the way home and that "Dang it I forgot to charge the Battery" half way to your destination;)
One of these days I may pull it out but for now my belkin tune-cast works fine for this ole fart.

Any updates from those on this thread?

I am about to add an amp and sub to the rear and wanted to put an iPod connector of SOME SORT in while I had the dash apart and wires run.

I would like to be even more redundant in format.
Id like to have two mini plug inputs to the stock head unit. One for XM and one for an iPod.

oh yea, and pages 3, 5 and 6 still don't load (any word on that?)
Can ya email these?

Thanks guys and gals
Rain

Rain,
What I've come to understand is that the only setup out there requires disconnecting your changer. What i don't understand is that to use my changer I push the cd button twice. That leaves me to wonder what if anything is hooked to my AUX button. If the changer is connected why can't i turn it on with the AUX button. Why is the button there if you don't need it? Any additional info would be appreciated. I want to keep all my options open.
Thanks,
Sal

Yes, I too find that strange that we have that button set up as it is.

I have never used the CD changer in my Vette and there isn't much original left on it.. hood is gone, wheels are gone, stock shifter is shortened, etc etc etc
So this one will never be NCRS..
so I might as well sell the factory changer and let that finance the adapter that goes in the wiring harness.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom