Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Iron BBC & Casting #s: Rebuild or Sale?

B

Bullitt

I got two sets of 454 cylinder heads in my garage. I haven't pulled the casting numbers off one, but the one I have decoded came off a '75-'87 truck/passenger car 454. It's an open chamber 113.0cc with 2.06 intake/ 1.72 exhaust valves. So, is this head worth rebuilding? If I do rebuild, should I jump to larger valves just for the sake of more potential performance or work with what I got, to keep the costs and machine work down? I have to consider that aluminum heads from Holley or Edelbrock cost around $1800, so it's not easy on the wallet. The RH head also had the castings GM3T and C 11 82. The Left head has GM4T and F 15 2.

Second, one of the blocks is also a truck block from a '75-'87. The casting number is 14015445. Can someone tell me what the last number (5) denotes? The casting of GM T 14 and F 18 2, also appears. I'm guessing that the last one tells the casting date of February 18, 1982? If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

I'll try to get the second engine's numbers tomorrow. Hopefully, those will be easier to decode. Any good advice will be appreicated, but I won't be buying a crate unless the costs are really comparitive. BB Chevys aren't as cheap as a SBC, I guess. :(

--Bullitt

Umm... I got way too many things I haven't read yet, so I can't buy anything new. I'll check out the library, though. Maybe I'm just cheap. :gap

Anyways, is there any advice whether I should retain this stock configuration and just refreshen it a bit? Or should I go full bore and maybe just buy a new short-block? Like Chris, I would like to take comfort in doing the majority of the work myself. Also, I might add a supercharger to this mill, so compression can stay low and I won't have to go too far off for power.

--Bullitt

The heads were cast on March 11 and June 15, 1982. The casting number on the block is simply an 8-digit part number - nothing special about the "5"; it was cast on June 18, '82. The "GM T.." numbers are Tonawanda Foundry mold numbers.

Thanks John. I just like an overload of information, I guess. I'm just too cheap to pay for it. :L That reminds me, the library called and I'm overdue again. :(

So any thoughts about increasing the valve sizes? I realize that the LS-5 engine option also had the same size valves. Then again, a furture supercharger will be compressing more air down there, too. Thanks for any advice you can lend.

--Bullitt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom