Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is 500 the magic number?

*89x2*

Saw this GNX on ebay today (547 made) and thought about our cars (again) and future values :cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...ategoryZ6137QQihZ015QQitemZ250139293548QQrdZ1

When Buick added an "X" to a model designation, one could assume that it meant something special. Recall the 1970 GSX which was an appearance modification of the Gran Sport. In the case of that "X" machine, the changes were strictly on the outside, but that wouldn't be the case with the GNX. There was one similarity, though, between the two machines, that being the bigger "X" in the three-letter emblem.
For many, the GNX is the most desirable some-what modern performance car in the country. It took the second-best performance car in the 1987 Grand National and made it a giant step better. With all its positives, there is one large negative from a collector's point of view. There were only 547 produced, which makes the GNX very rare and very expensive. It has been reported, for example, that GNX models have reached the six-figure values in 1990s sales. Experts advise any lucky GNX owner to keep his car as they are predicted to continually escalate through the years.
The refinement that the GNX received in so many different areas is truly amazing. A speed shop couldn't have done a better job. Acquiring a 31hp increase over the standard Grand National engine was a significant accomplishment. Consider, of course, that most factory announcements of horsepower are quite conservative by nature, so the actual figure is probably much closer to the 400 or greater figure.
The GNX was not a complete factory creation as aftermarket modifications were accomplished by McLaren Engines and ASC Inc. But even though there was this influence, it's generally agreed that Buick engineer Dave Sharpe was the guiding influence behind the GNX. He wanted the Regal line to end with a bang. With the GNX, he succeeded in a big way!

WILL THIS BE THE NEXT $1,000,000.00 CAR OF THE FUTURE??

So will it??? Or maybe it will be a Callaway ;shrug

92f9_12.JPG

Those were sweet cars for their time. I owned #254 and #413 in the late '90s. In '01, I sold #413 (with 43 miles on the odom.) to buy my Callaway Twin Turbo and 2 years ago sold #254 with just over 8K miles.

Looking at their prices today - I cashed in too early :eyerole

On valuations though, the higher priced collectible cars are the ones with no mileage. Even well restored ones may command high values but the highest values are derived from ones with no mileage. There is fun in owning these types of cars but take it from me there is a lot more fun in driving them.:Steer

That is why I drive my Callaway Twin Turbo and enjoy every boost! :D I look for other ways to make investments, not cars. For me they are to be driven.

On the other hand, due to the low production, power, style, and high visibility of the Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes, I expect these cars (and just about any Callaway product) to gain high value over time.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Luigi
:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom