Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is a 2001 model the one to get?

mqqn said:
Hi Guys -

Carfax is not worth the paper it is printed on. Period. Get a GM service manager to run a service history on the car. Done deal, and free.

mqqn
To be fair, Car fax is ok. It will show a few good things like how many times the car changed hands and any known title problems, etc, but if it comes up clean on Car Fax don't take it as gospel truth. Definetly have a dealer run the repair history through GM.

Frank

And a dealer will do this for Free?

Rain said:
And a dealer will do this for Free?
We can find someone on the CAC who can do it ;). Just get the VIN.

:w
Guy

Car-Fax?????????????

You happen to be correct regarding the worth of the Car-Faxes. But what you are using the service for is to find out how many owners the vehicle had and if any insurance company had a claim against it. This could be water, accident or anything in excess of $500.

Also how the car changed hands, insurance company, auction or leasing company even a used or new car dealer.

And it also tracks the dealer service's. This point is important because the mileage is noted.

Yes, odometer's can still be tampered with! And if a person has a minor mishap not involving another car they can pay cash to have it fixed and it will leave no paper trail at all.

So when you change the oil yourself or go to a Wal-mart to save a couple of bucks wham it comes back to haunt you when you sell your vehicle and the buyer pulls a Car-Fax and it shows nil because you tried to save a couple of bucks.

I make it my business to take my vette to a dealer once a year so the mileage is recorded.

Alan

Guy said:
We can find someone on the CAC who can do it ;). Just get the VIN.

:w
Guy
Hey Guy-
Thats promising news for sure!

here is the VIN, (think I should start a new thread?)

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]1G1YY22G515103042[/font]

I thought it was obvious that I was refering to flywheel hp #'s. When GM says 350hp, that's what they are refering to. And yes, the difference in the torque curve of the newer Vettes is truly where the improvement is. That said, the only time or instance that you could ever exploit or notice this difference in torque is if you had two Vettes, one 99 and 0ne 01. Standing start, mash both gas pedals to the floor at the exact time and maybee, if 100 other variables are equal, the 01 will pull 5 ft in front of the 99. Unless the driver of the 01 is 20lbs heavier than the driver of the 99, then it will be even.

kingman said:
You happen to be correct regarding the worth of the Car-Faxes. But what you are using the service for is to find out how many owners the vehicle had and if any insurance company had a claim against it. This could be water, accident or anything in excess of $500.

Also how the car changed hands, insurance company, auction or leasing company even a used or new car dealer.

And it also tracks the dealer service's. This point is important because the mileage is noted.

Yes, odometer's can still be tampered with! And if a person has a minor mishap not involving another car they can pay cash to have it fixed and it will leave no paper trail at all.

So when you change the oil yourself or go to a Wal-mart to save a couple of bucks wham it comes back to haunt you when you sell your vehicle and the buyer pulls a Car-Fax and it shows nil because you tried to save a couple of bucks.

I make it my business to take my vette to a dealer once a year so the mileage is recorded.

Alan
Hi Alan -

My 1998 Lumina has been in four accidents - all fixed with insurance claims, three were over $1000 in damage, and one required $10,800 in repairs.

A CarFax on this vehicle shows a clean history.

In Illinois, the physical title will document for you the ownership history for the last two owners.

Best regards -

mqqn

unreal!

I've been following this thread pretty closely since I'm also looking for a vette. I'm glad I followed it too, because I was under the impression CarFax was a good thing to do. I didn't realize a GM dealer could pull the vehicles service history, but it does make sense.

What I'm getting out of this is CarFax would be a big waste of money then??

Chrisr said:
I've been following this thread pretty closely since I'm also looking for a vette. I'm glad I followed it too, because I was under the impression CarFax was a good thing to do. I didn't realize a GM dealer could pull the vehicles service history, but it does make sense.

What I'm getting out of this is CarFax would be a big waste of money then??
Hi Chris -

Since it's opnly $25, if it makes a person feel better then it might be worth it for that reason.

I was very disappointed when I had the opportunity to run the check on my wifes Lumina and found out how little was reported. The insurance work for the accidents were all done at teh selling dealership.

Your GM dealer can run a history, but work done at Joes garage and Hair Salon will not be recorded in the GM database.

This is still OK IMO for a newer car, as most of the work will be warranty or at least done at the dealer.

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks mqqn!! I appreciate the feedback.
I guess CarFax would be a plus if something did happen to show up on it. It couldn't hurt. I think the best thing I could do, or anyone else for that fact, is to take someone along who knows Corvettes and could tell if there were any body repairs.

Its a good thing, but its not the Gospel.

Not sure there is any one tell-all source on the Cars..
so best to get info from any angle you can!

Night and day between the 98 and the 04. 'Course the 98 is a convertible and it squeeks and groans a little when twisted hard. The 04 hardtop handles loads better when pushed, a lot less wheel hop even though there is more torque in the engine. 'Course you get a lot more heads turning with that Radar Purple color and the Indy 500 graphics:cool

Chrisr said:
Thanks mqqn!! I appreciate the feedback.
I guess CarFax would be a plus if something did happen to show up on it. It couldn't hurt. I think the best thing I could do, or anyone else for that fact, is to take someone along who knows Corvettes and could tell if there were any body repairs.
Hi Chrisr -

You are most welcome.

Yes, get all the info you can and have a budy who knows C5's go with to look - it always helps because buying a car (especially a vette) is an emotional experience, and most don't think as well when emotional.

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom