Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is a C7 Corvette ZR1 Truly Off the Radar?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1

Rob Loszewski, Site Administrator
CorvetteActionCenter.com
January 16, 2014

attachment.php

Shortly after the 2015 Corvette Z06 was unveiled Monday morning in Detroit at the North American International Auto Show, the media was quick to question what the future holds for a C7 ZR1 Corvette in light of the 2015 Z06's incredible performance potential. When asked about a C7 ZR1, Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter stated that Chevrolet has no plans for a C7 ZR1.

Rumors have been floating around for a couple years now about a Cadillac ATS-V. Motor Trend Magazine is now reporting that the ATS-V will be powered by Cadillac's twin-turbo 3.6-liter V6 putting out approximately 425 hp. Along with the ATS-V, Motor Trend claims that Cadillac has plans for an ATS-V+ powered by a de-tuned version of the 2015 Corvette Z06's LT4 engine.

Motor Trend is confident however that the Cadillac CTS-V will not get the Z06 Corvette's LT4 engine and will instead be powered by a new twin-turbo version of the Corvette's LT1 V8 engine. This new twin-turbo version of the LT1 engine is "also slated for the next Corvette ZR1".

So....is a C7 Corvette ZR1 really off the radar? We don't think so. Our official prediction: expect to see a C7 ZR1 coming either as a 2016 or a 2017 model, sporting a more powerful version of the Z06's LT4 engine.

If the C7 Corvette ZR1 does in fact use a twin-turbo charged version of the Corvette's LT1 engine, expect owners of the legendary 1990 - 1995 Corvette ZR-1, who religiously sing the praises of the DOHC LT5 engine, to start jamming needles into dolls like Angela Bassett in American Horror Story - Coven!

Attachments

• c7zr1.jpg
    c7zr1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 537b70629f107d290b4fc266bb927c6f.jpg
    537b70629f107d290b4fc266bb927c6f.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 141
They probably don't want to talk about a C7 ZR1 yet so that they can sell the new Z06. :w

Never say never.....if there is a good market and a need they will fill it...........cool picture by the way.......

GM is going to stretch the chassis a bit and put a DOHC, 6.0 Liter, 120-degree, V-12 under the hood that has twin turbos feeding a supercharger. HP will be at least 750. It will run on E85 also.

This engine will be mated to an 8-speed paddle shift dual clutch manual trans without a clutch peddle. When you stop, the computer will automatically select first gear and disconnect the clutch. The computer will shift for you or you can paddle it if you like

There will be active aero ducting in the front body work to work with the moveable wing on the rear. The roof will be permanently attached to the car so you can't spoil the active aero stuff. If you have the windows down and exceed 99 MPH, the windows automatically close and are locked out until you slow below 85 MPH. More aero manny stuff.

Options will include a 6-point belt system, a full-face helmet and a fire extinguisher mount.

GM is going to stretch the chassis a bit and put a DOHC, 6.0 Liter, 120-degree, V-12 under the hood that has twin turbos feeding a supercharger. HP will be at least 750. It will run on E85 also.

This engine will be mated to an 8-speed paddle shift dual clutch manual trans without a clutch peddle. When you stop, the computer will automatically select first gear and disconnect the clutch. The computer will shift for you or you can paddle it if you like

There will be active aero ducting in the front body work to work with the moveable wing on the rear. The roof will be permanently attached to the car so you can't spoil the active aero stuff. If you have the windows down and exceed 99 MPH, the windows automatically close and are locked out until you slow below 85 MPH. More aero manny stuff.

Options will include a 6-point belt system, a full-face helmet and a fire extinguisher mount.

Damn, I was hoping for a V-8......with round tail lights. :)

CorvetteActionCenter.com
January 16, 2014

attachment.php

Shortly after the 2015 Corvette Z06 was unveiled Monday morning in Detroit at the North American International Auto Show, the media was quick to question what the future holds for a C7 ZR1 Corvette in light of the 2015 Z06's incredible performance potential. When asked about a C7 ZR1, Corvette Chief Engineer, Tadge Juechter stated that Chevrolet has no plans for a C7 ZR1.

Rumors have been floating around for a couple years now about a Cadillac ATS-V. Motor Trend Magazine is now reporting that the ATS-V will be powered by Cadillac's twin-turbo 3.6-liter V6 putting out approximately 425 hp. Along with the ATS-V, Motor Trend claims that Cadillac has plans for an ATS-V+ powered by a de-tuned version of the 2015 Corvette Z06's LT4 engine.

Motor Trend is confident however that the Cadillac CTS-V will not get the Z06 Corvette's LT4 engine and will instead be powered by a new twin-turbo version of the Corvette's LT1 V8 engine. This new twin-turbo version of the LT1 engine is "also slated for the next Corvette ZR1".

So....is a C7 Corvette ZR1 really off the radar? We don't think so. Our official prediction: expect to see a C7 ZR1 coming either as a 2016 or a 2017 model, sporting a more powerful version of the Z06's LT4 engine.

If the C7 Corvette ZR1 does in fact use a twin-turbo charged version of the Corvette's LT1 engine, expect owners of the legendary 1990 - 1995 Corvette ZR-1, who religiously sing the praises of the DOHC LT5 engine, to start jamming needles into dolls like Angela Bassett in American Horror Story - Coven!

Rob,

The ZR-1 coven would be upset if they called an OHV motor an LT-5. Maybe GM could get
Mercury Marine to do a lightweight version of the 9L motor.
YOU really need to drive a modded LT-5 to get why our group is as enthusiastic about DOHC AS WE ARE. LT-5s were right at the top of pack for N/A motors in a recent 1/2 MILE Chicago Wanna Go Fast event. And LT-5s again dominated the Crown Pointe Corvette Challenge in Morocco, Indiana. Just sayin.

Damn, I was hoping for a V-8......with round tail lights. :)

The exhaust tips will be round but the tail lights will be flattened diamonds and staggered - something like this:

<>_________________<>
___<>___________<>___

CorvetteActionCenter.com
January 16, 2014

attachment.php

This is an AWSOME picture, would like to see the rest of the car :drool:

...<your description="">
And people will still find something cosmetic to complain about or something, and then end their little diatribe with, "...What was GM thinking??? That's why I'm not gonna buy one. I'm keeping my C6-whatever!" :eyerole

:L</your>

My WAGs on these issues?

No "ATS-V+"...ever. An ATS-V, will be powered by the 425-hp V-6tt.

The CTS-V will continue with some sort of supercharged V8 engine, likely the LSA, until a platform changeover.

No C7 ZR-1 with a LT-1/tt engine. Out there in the hazy future, it's possible that GM is conceptualizing a new ZR-1 with a mid-engine powertrain and a 700+hp hybrid drive system combining some derivation of the supercharged LT4, electric motors and all-wheel-drive. A rear-drive car with more power than the C6 ZR-1 or the C7 Z06 is pointless because the car is so traction-limited. I've ridden in a C6 ZR1 with a pulley and a tune which was making 620 at the wheels which is about 730 at the flywheel. The car would spin the tires in third gear. Cars of the Corvette weight with more than 600-hp really need all wheel drive.

//THREAD HIJACK ON
Cars of the Corvette weight with more than 600-hp really need all wheel drive.
I definitely like the idea of AWD and I know it's been kicked around time and time again, at least as much as a mid-engine setup...well, maybe not that much. But adding the additional mass of an AWD system certainly has it's PROS & CONS. The PROs are obvious.
Under the CONs, I suppose you'd have to have more power to make up for the power/weight ratio of the RWD with less power. Granted, p/w ratio isn't all that wins on the track, but it certainly helps. Having a properly calibrated traction control system and possibly stickier tires would also be new requirements. Heck, just adding AWD would likely cause a fairly significant R&D investment in trying to redistribute weight back to the 50/50 they strive so hard to achieve. And what would it cost the end-user? Although it's proven that some of us are OK with dropping $100K+ on a factory vette, so "maybe!" "So Tadge, we've seen what you can do with $100K. What could you do with $150K?" :D

In your ride in the modded ZR-1, breaking free in 3rd/any gear would've only been possible with traction control disabled, no?
I suppose mo' power is OK as long as the TC system accounts for it, whether it's in retarded timing or applying the brakes or whatever voodoo they employ in the electronics.
//THREAD HIJACK OFF (?)

Last edited:
Previously, I said:
My WAGs on these issues?

No C7 ZR-1 with a LT-1/tt engine. Out there in the hazy future, it's possible that GM is conceptualizing a new ZR-1 with a mid-engine powertrain and a 700+hp hybrid drive system combining some derivation of the supercharged LT4, electric motors and all-wheel-drive. A rear-drive car with more power than the C6 ZR-1 or the C7 Z06 is pointless because the car is so traction-limited. I've ridden in a C6 ZR1 with a pulley and a tune which was making 620 at the wheels which is about 730 at the flywheel. The car would spin the tires in third gear. Cars of the Corvette weight with more than 600-hp really need all wheel drive.

I'm always doing research...digging for information and after spending some time doing that, I've changed my mind.

I'm now leaning towards the next ZR1 being a mid-engine car with a V6 twin turbo engine. My guess is GM will reuse the LT5 designation on this V6 which will make, oh about...450-hp. This new mid-engine Corvette will have all wheel drive and the V6tt gasoline engine will be supplimented by a 300-hp battery/electric hybrid drive system.

When will we see such a car? Late in the decade, I surmise.

So, will I be a hero eating steak or a zero eating crow?

Come back to this thread in four years.

Last edited:
Previously, I said:

I'm always doing research...digging for information and after spending some time doing that, I've changed my mind.

I'm now leaning towards the next ZR1 being a mid-engine car with a V6 twin turbo engine. My guess is GM will reuse the LT5 designation on this V6 which will make, oh about...450-hp. This new mid-engine Corvette will have all wheel drive and the V6tt gasoline engine will be supplimented by a 300-hp battery/electric hybrid drive system.

When will we see such a car? Late in the decade, I surmise.

So will I be hero eating steak or a zero eating crow?

Hib,

I suspect you may be onto something. Watching the 24hr last week, I wondered WHY was the Corvette name all over a mid engine prototype? Hmmmmmm. And I absolutely believe that a hybrid is the way to go even supplanting the need for turbos. Maybe a bargain basement McLaren. I think you will be enjoying the Chateaubriand.

"Corvette" is all over those prototypes because, a few years ago, GM Racing decided it wanted to have some visibility in that class.

My guess is the Corvette prototype racer and the supposed-under-development, mid-engine "C8" "ZR1" or whatever probably don't share much except the layout.

"Corvette" is all over those prototypes because, a few years ago, GM Racing decided it wanted to have some visibility in that class.

My guess is the Corvette prototype racer and the supposed-under-development, mid-engine "C8" "ZR1" or whatever probably don't share much except the layout.

Very possible, but if GM is in fact thinking a "super-Vette", then the experience and credibility gained from racing a mid-engine platform would be invaluable as it has proven to be so using the
C5/C6 platforms in ALMS and LeMans.

Do we really need or want a mid engined Corvette.....is it the only path into the future? The money it would cost to develope such a car would be a lot.......plus you have a group of affectionados that scream when the tail lights get changed.... I don't know what the advantages would be over what they have now but change is inevitable and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Do we really need or want a mid engined Corvette.....is it the only path into the future? The money it would cost to develope such a car would be a lot.......plus you have a group of affectionados that scream when the tail lights get changed.... I don't know what the advantages would be over what they have now but change is inevitable and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Looks to me as GM may be interested in building a family of Corvettes. The days of the domestic market being the driver for vehicle design is over. GM continues to be much more internationally focused and so vehicle platforms will be designed more and more w that in mind. Besides, if you make something 4wheel drive, then the whole fwd/rwd thing is moot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom