Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is adding Nitrous a good idea?

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have a 1980 with a ZZ4 in it. I need more power. Would adding Nitrous be a good idea? Lots of additional power? Too hard on the engine? I understand that you want to be at full power before cutting in the Nitrous?
Anyone out there with Nitrous exp.?

rocket22

I have used nitrous for years,and as long as you know the limits of your engine its fine,yours should live threw a 100 shot,I would use a plate system it mounts under the carb,A wot switch is a go way to activite a system,put theres alot more than the system having the proper ingition system with a spark retard built in.ZEX has the easiest to use kit I have seen everything is in one control box.I recommend a wet system.

My system is set up to spray it at anytime,spray it from a launch is a blast.

Just do some research and you will be fine.

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Hey Rocket,

Is that a 100 shot all the time, or few occassions? I read somewhere that the pistons rings should be fit (cut) for Ntrious use for best performance.

GerryLP:cool

rocket22

If you are only spraying it every now and then it will ok,but if you plan to get serious with it I would have the motor redone,for nitrous.a 100 shot really isnt that big, I know some kids spraying 100 shot hits on stock cobalts

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Nitrous is the cheap/quick solution. It uses a bottle and the bottle will go dry after awhile. Do not use more that a 100-125 hp shot without getting forged pistons. Cast pistons will not tolerate the increased cylinder pressure/force.

If you want power all the time, a supercharger is much better. It is not cheap though. Superchargering a carb car is easier than ever, Vortech and procharger make kits for this for the small block and big block Chevy.

Another thought is just get a bigger motor, either a stroker small block (383, 396) or go big block 454 or 502. Since you have a 1980, you have to be aware of what motor you can swap in there due to smog laws.

Ed

Bill75

Corvette
75 Coupe ZZ4, Brodix IK-180's, Headers,TK0-500
If you want power all the time, a supercharger is much better. It is not cheap though. Superchargering a carb car is easier than ever, Vortech and procharger make kits for this for the small block and big block Chevy.
Ed

And where do you mount the intercooler on a C3??

rocket22

You can run it without a intercooler,the power gain with the intercooler is small depending on the blower.

Most I have seen on a c-3 is tucked up in front of the rad.

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
I wonder what kind of brackets are needed to mount a vortech or procharger on a C3, small block, in stock brackets or custom? The alternator would have to be moved to the other side I believe. And if you have power steering, the reservoir would have to be relocated if I am not mistaken.

Another question is if it clears the hood.

Hopefully, someone has some answers on this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom