Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is adding Nitrous a good idea?

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have a 1980 with a ZZ4 in it. I need more power. Would adding Nitrous be a good idea? Lots of additional power? Too hard on the engine? I understand that you want to be at full power before cutting in the Nitrous?
Anyone out there with Nitrous exp.?

I have used nitrous for years,and as long as you know the limits of your engine its fine,yours should live threw a 100 shot,I would use a plate system it mounts under the carb,A wot switch is a go way to activite a system,put theres alot more than the system having the proper ingition system with a spark retard built in.ZEX has the easiest to use kit I have seen everything is in one control box.I recommend a wet system.

My system is set up to spray it at anytime,spray it from a launch is a blast.

Just do some research and you will be fine.

Hey Rocket,

Is that a 100 shot all the time, or few occassions? I read somewhere that the pistons rings should be fit (cut) for Ntrious use for best performance.

GerryLP:cool

If you are only spraying it every now and then it will ok,but if you plan to get serious with it I would have the motor redone,for nitrous.a 100 shot really isnt that big, I know some kids spraying 100 shot hits on stock cobalts

Nitrous is the cheap/quick solution. It uses a bottle and the bottle will go dry after awhile. Do not use more that a 100-125 hp shot without getting forged pistons. Cast pistons will not tolerate the increased cylinder pressure/force.

If you want power all the time, a supercharger is much better. It is not cheap though. Superchargering a carb car is easier than ever, Vortech and procharger make kits for this for the small block and big block Chevy.

Another thought is just get a bigger motor, either a stroker small block (383, 396) or go big block 454 or 502. Since you have a 1980, you have to be aware of what motor you can swap in there due to smog laws.

Ed

If you want power all the time, a supercharger is much better. It is not cheap though. Superchargering a carb car is easier than ever, Vortech and procharger make kits for this for the small block and big block Chevy.
Ed

And where do you mount the intercooler on a C3??

You can run it without a intercooler,the power gain with the intercooler is small depending on the blower.

Most I have seen on a c-3 is tucked up in front of the rad.

I wonder what kind of brackets are needed to mount a vortech or procharger on a C3, small block, in stock brackets or custom? The alternator would have to be moved to the other side I believe. And if you have power steering, the reservoir would have to be relocated if I am not mistaken.

Another question is if it clears the hood.

Hopefully, someone has some answers on this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom