Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is C6 as noisy as C5 ?

T

tonylong

I can remember the C5 'ers complaining of the high level of noise at almost any speed. Did the general improve the aerodynamics of the C6 to fix this problem. As a C4'er I do not notice much noise even at high speeds, top up or down.
Comments Please.

It's quite in the car, when it's working.
-Bill.;)

The C5 is NOT noisy at speed. Maybe, compared to a Cadillac. But it IS noisy, very noisy, when it is idling.

Carbuff

I had a "02" and I loved the way it sounded at idle. At speed no problem with excessive noise. My "05" now doesn't have the idle sound like the "02" I miss that rumble. At speed or leading up to it the "05" sounds different but by no means loud.

I should qualify what I meant by "noisy".
I was referring to the buffeting by wind, tire noise, etc. Not exhaust sounds.

Both C5 & C6 coupes have same wind/tire noise issues as a C4 coupe. Have driven or owned all. Don't know about rag-tops.

Carbuff

I would suspect that those that had C5s and complained about noise never had the C4 to really hear noise and wind buffeting. It's a good chance that the body flex in the C4 mask the wind noise. It was so bad I never took the top off after the first year. Had ever generation and there is no doubt the C6 is quieter than the C5, is quieter than the C4, is quieter--------------

Both myC5s quieted down quite a bit just by changing the tires to non run flats. I expect the C6 to do the same when I change it over the Pilot Sports or BF Goodrich KDWs.

noisy??!! You think the C5 is noisy?
my god man, you should try being in my '65 coupe at 60mph with the 4:11 rear gearing - cruising at approx 3500rpm, wind & tire noise is a lot but you wouldn't ever know it over the sound from the sidepipes screaming.
Now that is what being in a sports car is suppose to be like! :D

I've been in a C5 and at while it will outperform my '65 in speed, handling, and comfort, the car was so quiet I might as well been in my wifes Lexus LS400.

C5 noisy............. ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

BarryK said:
noisy??!! You think the C5 is noisy?
my god man, you should try being in my '65 coupe at 60mph with the 4:11 rear gearing - cruising at approx 3500rpm, wind & tire noise is a lot but you wouldn't ever know it over the sound from the sidepipes screaming.
Now that is what being in a sports car is suppose to be like! :D

I've been in a C5 and at while it will outperform my '65 in speed, handling, and comfort, the car was so quiet I might as well been in my wifes Lexus LS400.

C5 noisy............. ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

I was thinking along the same lines ,

tonylong said:
I can remember the C5 'ers complaining of the high level of noise at almost any speed. Did the general improve the aerodynamics of the C6 to fix this problem. As a C4'er I do not notice much noise even at high speeds, top up or down.
Comments Please.
Based upon my own experiences in a 2005 early, pre-production model, and a pre-production 2006 Z06, I think they're more quiet than the C5s. I can say that the road noise in a C5 Z06 is basically non-existant in a 2006 Z06.

I didn't really think the C5s were that noisy to begin with. If you want to hear noise....I'll give ya a ride in my ZR-1....with old BF Goodrich, 315s in the back....they've aged well, just short of being considered round rocks. I'll show ya noise! :L :L :D

Road noise

My C5 had quite a bit of road noise, BUT the C6 with the Z51 package and factory run-flats is unbelievably quiet. Even running well over 100 mph with the top down the radio is crystal clear.... you can even hear my wife gasp for breath!!!!!!!!!! smiling all the way.

Seriously, the Z51 made a large difference. One of the goals was to reduce the road noise and they SUCCEEDED.....

RD

From my experience driving C5 & C6's road noise has a lot to do with tire type (runflat/non runflat) and road compound (asphalt/concrete).

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

tonylong said:
Comments Please.

Much less wind noise in the C6 at speed thanks to the new indexing windows, drives me nuts in my C5.

I have Headers cats and Rte 66 on mine and the noise is pretty loud below 60 mph or WOT. I love it. I gotta give it one of those Tim Allens Ugh Ugh everytime I hear it.:cool

C6 noise

tonylong said:
Comments Please.

My C6 (2006) is really quiet, it stayed parked at the dealer most of the time, so I can't remeber the last time I heard it make noise.

My '00 C5 Convertilbe was extremely noisy . . . Tire/Road noise being the biggest complaint. Changed the runflats out for F1 GS D3's at 28K, put another 9k on it and the noise was greatly reduced, tire noise that is. On some roads it was still load thou.

Read somewhere that GM required Goodyear to refine the runflats for the C6's to help reduce noise and then GM put much more sound deadening in to reduce it further. I also read that the convertibles are quiter than the coupes . . . probably as a reuslt of the compartment barrier they added!

Huh?

What?

Er, OK!

Whatever. :eyerole

Do you think GM put all those speakers in cause they wanted to be nice to us?

When my C6 coupe was new it was defintely quieter than my C5. But now 10 months later with its LG Motorsports Long Tube Headers and Borla Stinger x-haust it's sounding like the bad --- it really is.
To tell you the truth the noisest most uncomfortable (Im 6' 3'') is my 1962 with the convertible top up or down. with the hard top on is gives a little more head room.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom