Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is it a "Stingray" or not?????

Real easy- they all say 'Corvette'. Who gives a flyin' farque about stinkin' badges?
That's right!

Badges?!?! We don't need no stinkin' badges?

lw2145c.jpg

I drive a 1976 Stingray, and it should have been named a Stinkray. They should have stopped the Stingray badges 1974. All about GM marketing there, trying to squeeze every penny out of the "brand".

Well I feel that the prevailing logic here is that since the C3 models initially had the Stingray badging from 68 thru 76, without that badging defining any particular performance or option package, and the C3 styling ran thru 82, people generally consider all C3's Stingrays.

The question then evolves. If GM in the future badges a C6 model a "Stingray" , without defining the package it denotes, then would ALL Corvettes be Stingrays ? :confused

You're speak for yourself and not for others I presume.
On a more serious note...I do more or less agree with him. "Most people" (those being then general public with a modicum of Corvette knowledge) think all C3's are "Stingrays". :)

True enough, but 'owners/enthusiasts' are at different level of knowledge than people that confuse Corvette/Corvair/Chevette.

I refer back to the OPs question and my follow up as to why do so many owners want affirmation?

You're speak for yourself and not for others I presume.

I believe that what you meant to write in a correct manner is pharsed as follows: " You're speaking for yourself and not for others, I presume. "

To answer your foolish inquiry, Yes, that is why I used the word "I" not "we".

people that confuse Corvette/Corvair/Chevette.

Who exactly are the people who confuse these three models ? You may need to re-evaluate who you associate with. I have never met anyone who has made this recognition error. :chuckle

I believe that what you meant to write in a correct manner is pharsed as follows: " You're speaking for yourself and not for others, I presume. "

To answer your foolish inquiry, Yes, that is why I used the word "I" not "we".

It's spelled phrased, not pharsed. Speaking of foolish, it's foolish not to check your own spelling if you're going to poke at others.

Using the words 'the prevailing logic here' may have inferred that you were attempting to summarize the thoughts of others. Glad to see that this is not the case.

And, yes I have met someone that thought I belonged to a Chevette club and wanted to bring his mother's car to join up.

It's spelled phrased, not pharsed. Speaking of foolish, it's foolish not to check your own spelling if you're going to poke at others.

Using the words 'the prevailing logic here' may have inferred that you were attempting to summarize the thoughts of others. Glad to see that this is not the case.

And, yes I have met someone that thought I belonged to a Chevette club and wanted to bring his mother's car to join up.

Awww ya got me - looks like a transposition error to me, that happens sometimes when I type. As for your reasoning to initially "poke" (to use your term) at my posting, its a bit weak. Responses such as yours is why these forums are slow. Nobody really wants to post up if when you do, you get some wise- a$$ picking an argument. Nuff time spent on this one. C-ya, no pun intended.

Maybe you can answer this (related) question- why do owner of later C3s without the Stingray stick-on badge have such a burning desire to be included? My car ('73) came with the emblems and I couldn't care less about them since ALL '69-'76 Corvettes had them. I've owned the car since 1990ish and never once referred to it as a 'Stingray'.

I don't get it.

I can explain some of that. When I tell people that I drive a C3 corvette, most don't know what that means. When I tell people that I drive a 1982 corvette, they assume that it has the C4 body style because they don't realize how long the C3's were made. So the only way for me to get non-corvette people to visualize my car is to tell them it is a Stingray (or Sting Ray?).

Nobody seems to understand the OPs question, or my follow up.

Why do OWNERS of later C3s want affirmation from FELLOW OWNERS that their non-badged C3 is also a 'Sting Ray'.

I understand the confusion on the part of the great unwashed (non-owners) :D

Nobody seems to understand the OPs question, or my follow up.

Why do OWNERS of later C3s want affirmation from FELLOW OWNERS that their non-badged C3 is also a 'Sting Ray'.

I understand the confusion on the part of the great unwashed (non-owners) :D
I thought your reply was pretty much the asnwer to the original poster's question. And I think I get the gist of your follow up about current owners "wanting affirmation" from other owners. I think it's just kinda neat sounding more than anything. Or maybe some owners or non-owners think they might have 'less' car because of the debadging. It doesn't really matter. You could care less about the emblem because (I'm guessing) it has no real significance to anything performance-related to the car. That's fine. Your car, your personal hobby. :thumb
Others obviously feel differently. :)
I would venture a guess that most owners of later C3's simply ask about the badging because they don't know the story/reasoning behind it and why it was there for a while and then just disappeared.

So let me see if I have this right...

All Corvettes from 1968-76 came badged with Stingray on the side...? If this was an option package, what was it made up of? What were the options?

Maybe a better question would be, what is the history behind the badging of "Stingray"??

Not quite, 69-76s had Stingray badges. All of them- as standard equipment. Not an option. Pretty silly thing to do as the car was then nicknamed a 'shark' which is a different species.

63-67 Corvettes had Sting Ray badges as standard equipment, but they're not nicknamed sharks. We call them 'midyears' instead because they're the 2nd generation out of the present six.

The 53-62 is called a solid axle possibly because the two rear axles are not solidly connected as with a positraction diff.

The 84-96 car sometimes gets called a clam for some strange reason.

All straight now? :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom