Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is it the Fuel pump or something else?

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
Question:
Is there anything else that can kill the fuel pump electrically?

Yesterday without warning the car would not start. Upon turning the key, no familiar whirring sound from the rear of the car just before starting.....
...and a dead gas gauge. No movement from the needle.

-Car is cranking fine.
-No gas up front at the injectors.

Today:
Replaced the Fuel Pump relay. Found the connectors covered with a black gooey grease. Cleaned up easy and connected to brand new relay.

-Checked/cleaned the rear harness connection at the tank.
-The fuse looks okay in the fuse box.
-Made sure I had gas in the tank. But did notice some small white-ish material floating as I did stirred up the bottom of the tank with the clear syphon hose.

Next step seems to be replacing the Fuel Pump.
Since the gas gauge is not working, I may clean all the lines and replace the filter just case a clog killed the pump.

Question:
Is there anything else that can kill the fuel pump electrically? Although I went through the manuals, wonder if I missed a another relay or similar.
Only thing replaced recently was a wiper-override switch and the car ran fine with it.
Am I missing something here?

The car is very reliable so the it just dying this way caught me off-guard. (But glad it was parked in the garage when it died!) :L

Thanks ahead for your thoughts!

-MOo!

I'm thinking there is no power getting back there. The rear lights work. However found the spare tire courtesy light is not getting any juice by switching bulbs...and that wire leads to the main wire wrap as the fuel pump.

Only thing recently done was finding the wiper intermittent relay was out and replaced with an override switch from Corvette Central.

The car ran fine, wipers worked okay, then parked her in the car in the garage for a week. Next time I went to start her the problem happened.

Today changed out ALL the fuses in the fuse box (just in case), they all were fine. Put in a new ignition module, fresh gas, new fuel pump relay, new fuel pump. Wondering if there is an inline fuse or relay I'm missing!?!
;(

The gas gauge seems to work but not hearing the little "whirr" of the ECM priming the pump at start up.

Going through the '82 Chevy shop manual, says something about checking CKT120 and CKT340 in the diagnostics.

The quest continues...

Very sad Moo.

I'm thinking there is no power getting back there. The rear lights work. However found the spare tire courtesy light is not getting any juice by switching bulbs...and that wire leads to the main wire wrap as the fuel pump.

Only thing recently done was finding the wiper intermittent relay was out and replaced with an override switch from Corvette Central.

The car ran fine, wipers worked okay, then parked her in the car in the garage for a week. Next time I went to start her the problem happened.

Today changed out ALL the fuses in the fuse box (just in case), they all were fine. Put in a new ignition module, fresh gas, new fuel pump relay, new fuel pump. Wondering if there is an inline fuse or relay I'm missing!?!
;(

The gas gauge seems to work but not hearing the little "whirr" of the ECM priming the pump at start up.

Going through the '82 Chevy shop manual, says something about checking CKT120 and CKT340 in the diagnostics.

The quest continues...

Very sad Moo.

Did you check the ECM fuse....the one in the battery compartment?

It's Fixed!

The cars now is repaired!

Following the diagnostic chart in the shop manual,

I came upon the (a) Oil pressure switch located on the back of the engine under the distributer. Pulled off the wire, blew off the plug and reconnected.

Under wrapped some old black tape was (b) Wire for smog testing (?) it had become unplugged with signs of repairs of splices. The connection is missing half of the plug. Cleaned it and taped it tight for now until I get another plug.

When I put the key to test the car, a series of little whirs and clicks as if the new ECM rebooted itself then the car rolled over on the 1st time.

The car started and sounded just fine. And no code 42!

Between the combo of the wiring shown and the old ECM acting intermittently is the final cause of the problems.

This one was a dozzie for me to get repaired, but learned a lot along the way.

Thanks all for your advise and suggestions as it greatly helped in the process.

-MoO! vette_repair.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom