Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is the A/C compressor shot?

dlt4

Corvette
'96 Polo Green LT4 Coupe
I turned on the AC in my '96 today to be greeted only by warm air. The compressor clutch engages for a second or two, then disengages for maybe two or three seconds, etc., etc.

My knowledge of AC systems is minimal, so I'm wondering if this behavior indicate that the compressor is junk, or something else? The car has 105K and the compressor has never been replaced.

I turned on the AC in my '96 today to be greeted only by warm air. The compressor clutch engages for a second or two, then disengages for maybe two or three seconds, etc., etc.

My knowledge of AC systems is minimal, so I'm wondering if this behavior indicate that the compressor is junk, or something else? The car has 105K and the compressor has never been replaced.

no worries...it has switches to cut it off or on based on what pressure there is in the system. Get it charged, add some oil see how it does. Hopefully no mahjor leaks but the gas escaped somehow.... maybe figure that out before chargibng the system again.. That gas is close to $15 a can now.....ouch!

no worries...it has switches to cut it off or on based on what pressure there is in the system. Get it charged, add some oil see how it does. Hopefully no mahjor leaks but the gas escaped somehow.... maybe figure that out before chargibng the system again.. That gas is close to $15 a can now.....ouch!

It's good to hear that it isn't a bad compressor.
Thanks for the info.

If the compressor cycles frequently, this is a sign of low refrigerant. Might want to look for leaks and recharge. DO NOT put AC sealant in the system. Fix the leak and refill with R134.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom