Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is the BFGoodrich KDW really that loud?

S

Skant

I have Goodyear HP Ultra+ now. I've heard the KDW (2?) is a particularly loud tire. Is this really a noisy tire? Compared to what I already have?

One of my friends has a 2000 Celica with Bridgestone Potenza tires (RE780 or something like that). And it's difficult to talk to him on the freeway over the tire noise on that thing. I want the good grip, but not _that_ much noise.

- Skant

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE730's on my 92 roadster and they are much quieter that the OEM GS-C's that I removed. I don't really hear any noise on the freeway unless I'm in the inside lane next to a jersey barrier. The B&B TriFlo exhaust and having the radio on pretty much keep me from hearing tire noise.

The KDW was one of the tires I had considered, but price was an issue at the time. They are a good sticky tire that performs well in the wet. The tread pattern is pretty agressive and that may be a cause for noise. Because I do occasional autocross events and some track days, tire noise is not the issue for me. So far I am very happy with the RE730's

KDW noise

Skant, my LT4 came with KDWS tires, so I can't compare to others.
But I don't find it high in noise and I agree with C4cruiser that they have good grip, particularly in the wet. I think the KDWS does not have as aggressive a tread design and may be less noisy for that.

Have you considered the Firehawks? Even though the Firestone brand hasn't had much good press lately, I have read a lot of positive evaluations of the Firehawk and will probably buy them when it is time to replace the current tires.

Zyrus

Re: KDW noise

Zyrus said:
Have you considered the Firehawks? Even though the Firestone brand hasn't had much good press lately, I have read a lot of positive evaluations of the Firehawk and will probably buy them when it is time to replace the current tires.

Zyrus

I have the SZ-50's on mine and they're great. They really grip well in dry and wet weather. Can't tell how they wear as I have less than 1,000 miles on them so far. They were $186 a piece at TireRack and shipping was $32 for all 4. They're very quiet, but then again, my Flowmasters pretty much make anything quiet.:D

I'm not interested in Firestone tires. They nearly killed one of my friends when one of his Firestone drag tires ripped in half. They failed in a catastrophic fashion that such tires are not supposed to fail in. Put him in the hospital with serious injuries.

The exploding explorer tires are just further confirmation. I won't trust Firestone with my safety.

I'm interested in the various other brands. Particularly BFGoodrich, since I've had good experience with them in the past. But haven't used the KDW or KD tires yet.

I'm also curious about the Goodyear F1 tires with the big V pattern. I know tirerack.com hates anything without Firestone on the sidewall. But anyone have any experience with the straight F1's?

I have noticed that Tirerack.com seems to have reviews only against Goodyear's old tires. It almost looks like they compare the newest tires from other companies against the old tires from Goodyear. And they rate the Firestone tires better than the BFGoodrich tires, even though the BFGoodrich tires turn better lap times in their own tests. It makes me a little suspicious.

I don't mean to get into anyone's face about the Firestones. Just having them almost kill someone I know really has a strong affect on my opinion of Firestone's quality control.

- Skant

I have the KDWS and do not find them loud. They are much quieter than the GSC. Guy

Hmmm. BFGoodrich lists the KDWS as having a quieter ride than the KDW on their web site.

- Skant

I felt the same way about Firestone tires, but after talking with folks here and reading the glowing report from Tirerack.com. I bought a set of SZ-50's. I am now on my second set and have found the tire for me. They are great, they handle well in wet or dry, are quiet and I have gotten great mileage out of them compared to anything with good in front of them. But alas there are many tires and many opinions...to each his own...

Like Eagle, I went with the SZ50's and have no regrets. I do forsee myself putting them on again on my next Vette' or when these go south. They do grip well in wet weather and the rear end has only slipped a couple of times.

I realize that a lot of people are extremely pessimistic ever since the Explorer incident but these are two different kinds of tires for two different types of cars so my slate is clean in terms of Corvette-Firestone relationship.

Tires

I hav just bought a set of the KDWS tires for the rear of my car... They do not seem loud at all.. They do grip well, and drive in rain and snow OK as well.. I can not say how they will be when they get some more miles on them yet..

KDWS vs GS-C

I switched from Goodyear GS-C to Goodrich KDWS and they are great! Better ride and MUCH MUCH quiter. I do not race my Corvette, but I push it on a good road sometimes. I give these tires an A+

SZ50's harden up at 35degrees. No traction, completely useless.
never again. I'm done with firestone.

$108 for a kumho does me fine. and they are daylights better than the SZ50.

i have the KDW's as well, and love them.
A Corvette is loud anyways, so i don't notice any extra noise.

I run NITTO DR 315/35/17's. What are the KDW's?

i have the kd's and am very pleased with them. they grip and hold together at high speed (the tires are "Y" rated). i wouldn't recommend them on wet surfaces tho.

I have the KDW on my 96. They are not loud at all. I also had GSC’s on it before that.
My old 1991 vette had Gatorbacks. They were a little loud but only time I could hear them was pulling into my driveway late at night. I think most people blow it all out of proportion. Driving a caddy or some other point a to point b car is going to be quite due to the all season tires they normally wear. Vettes are sports cars with sports tires. They will never be as quite as these other cars. But people tend to compare the noise level.
You want loud, drive a Jeep or truck with mud tires. That’s loud.

I’d bet my life savings you would be happy with the KDW tire. They have plenty of grip, even in the wet. I have run them at autox events against KD and Victor Racer V700 equip vettes so I know what kind of grip they provide.

The SZ50 is a great tire also. I just don’t like the skinny look they have. They are not as wide as the same size in a different brand.
But they provide plenty of grip and nice ride.

larryfs said:
SZ50's harden up at 35degrees. No traction, completely useless.

That applies to approx. 95% of the performance tires out there.

Re: KDWS vs GS-C

dburgjohn said:
I switched from Goodyear GS-C to Goodrich KDWS and they are great! Better ride and MUCH MUCH quiter. I do not race my Corvette, but I push it on a good road sometimes. I give these tires an A+

Of course the KDWS will be quiter and better ride. It's an all season tire.
The GSC is a performance tire. Good choice by the way if it fits your needs.

Skant said:
I have Goodyear HP Ultra+ now. I've heard the KDW (2?) is a particularly loud tire. Is this really a noisy tire? Compared to what I already have?

One of my friends has a 2000 Celica with Bridgestone Potenza tires (RE780 or something like that). And it's difficult to talk to him on the freeway over the tire noise on that thing. I want the good grip, but not _that_ much noise.

- Skant

Tire noise should be about the same but honestly can't say for sure. Never driven in a HP Ultra+ tired vette.

BTW, your friends car is loud by nature. My friend also has the same car. Road noise and tire noise enters the cabin. Kinda like the Chevy Prism car but not as bad. Loud as what not inside. Tire noise, engine noise, etc. So you really can't compare using his car.

I'll only run the Firestones on my car... I had KDW's on my 95... no wheres near the tire the SZ-50's are. Might want to consisder Michelins also.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom