Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is There a Fuel Injected Crate Motor that fits under the hood of a 71?

Right now I'm in the rape and pillage stage. The interior and all of the suspension is out. The engine and tranny are next. After that, a couple of wiring harnesses and major cleanup to the engine compartment and I'm ready to start to go back together. You're right, I will be grinning for a long time-the car has been on blocks in my garage for 3 1/2 years waiting for me to finish our house.

I've got an 80 with a 90-91 TPI on a ZZ4. It fits under the hood nicely, and gas mileage went way up compared to the Quadrajet. I wouldn't have considered FI except I could no longer pass emissons testing in Maryland. Since I didn't know squat about putting a TPI in an old vette, I sought some help from Jims Performance - http://www.jimsperformance.com/tpibuy.html

Other than an LSx, this is my choice for a SBC with TPI. Here's a pick of the ZZ4 with TPI... Jay

Brandywine;
Looks great! I'll post a picture when I get done with mine if anyone will still be around then. I travel around the world for a living and am gone an average of 180 to 190 days a year. Doesn't leave a lot of time for working on car what with being married and also building our house ourselves. I hope to be ready to drive it to the body shop for the final touch-paint-maybe late in 06. Wish me luck!
Art

Wow what a great job!! Beautiful setup Brandywine.

Bill

Thanks, Art and Bill. Since I was forced into this by the state emissions cops, I needed a great solution since I was on their radar... I do have to admit it looks better than with the Q-jet;)

I get great performance, reliability, response, and my wife doesn't complain about the garage smelling like gas anymore... Just how much $$$$ I'm spending.;LOL
Jay

Is there a fuel injected crate motor that will fit under the hood of a 71?

Jay, so far my wife hasn't complained, but I've only spent about $8000 over the purchase price of the car. I have a long way to go cause the car was sitting in a hangar in Calgary Alberta since 1990. I trailered it home in 2002 and it's been sitting in my garage since. It's a nice starter though-looks like only 23000 miles, original and never wrecked. We'll see what she says after another $6 or $8000. Art

My wife doesn't complain about the vette too much... I've got a couple of motorcycles along with the vette. I can usually sneak something under the hood, but she has sharp eyes when it comes to the scooters.:L

Besides, I look at the vette and the harleys as investments. At least that's what I tell myself everytime I watch a Barrett-Jackson show on TV!

I know that's right!!!!!! I used to have a 1950 Panhead and it's pretty obvious when you change something. Art

Whiplash said:
The good news is the car is a 71 without smog (it's the ac/4spd/low hp 350). I've seen some TBI kits and then more elaborate SFI. What I'm hoping for is the reliability of a modern FI like, I have now in my Z06 and had in my C4. But as the post above notes $2-3K for FI when a new carb will work just fine is a factor to consider.

Please keep the posts coming. I'm still hoping there's a cost effectiv FI solution out there. The return lines to the tank and electric fuel pump don't bother me. I'm not even too worried about the computer tuning requirements. It more about finding something that fits, bolts on to a crate motor or comes with it, and is cost effective or at a minimum not totally out of control from a cost perspective.

Whiplash :D

Look at this-

http://www.lt1intake.com/

If you want EFI that is really low... you can't beat a GEN II manifold set up to live on a GEN I motor.

Of course, you'll need some custom programing (DFI)... but it'll fit.

I picked up an LT1 manifold for $120 on ebay. It just needs machining. I plan on using it on an engine (someday) like maybe an 82 Vette with the 700R4. We'll see though...

Personally, I think the TPI swap is rediculously simple. Then again, I've done one already!

Art Jett said:
I know that's right!!!!!! I used to have a 1950 Panhead and it's pretty obvious when you change something. Art

:cool

ZZ4 with 91 TPI setup

Brandywine,

Nice job on the ZZ4/TPI transplant!! I'll bet that combo moves you down the road just a bit quicker than the stocker 1980 motor...

I just installed a factory crate ZZ4 in my 91 Corvette, transferring all of the 91's manifold and TPI gear over to the ZZ4. Right now I have a little bit of pre-ignition problem with the new ZZ4, though. Did you experience any engine knocking after your transplant?

I only have about 20 miles on the new motor, but I am surprised about the slight pre-ignition. I had none with my lower performance L98 motor and I have none with a late model C5, either. Both cars are running on the relatively poor 91 octane gas that passes for premium here in Kalifornia. Thanks for any insights you can provide. Steve

ZZ4 Pinging

Brandywine,

Thanks for the fast response. The work was done by the Corvette Shop in San Diego. I suspect they just re-used the factory L98 PROM. Can you suggest a chip source and model for the ZZ4 transplant? The car is a 91 automatic.

Luckily, this car does not have to pass Republik of Kalifornia smog.

Steve

Performance chip for ZZ4

Brandywine,

Thanks for the recommendation. Before I go down the "chipped" road, I was wondering if you ever ran your new ZZ4 motor with the 91 factory PROM? Did you experience pinging from too much advance or not enough fuel?

thanks,

Steve

Never fired up the motor after installing the TPI with anything other than the chip that was cut for the ZZ4. All the parts were new, they weren't removed from another vehicle. There was some minor adjustments, but not the pinging you spoke of. The chip was based in part on the cam specs and the flow numbers for the heads.

I did go through a brushless car wash once... fouled all the plugs...:eyerole

Ill be taking plenty of pics,have done a ton of researching for several months before even starting it,now im ready to drop it in.Im even using my sidepipes on it i bought ls1 flanges to weld to my headers.

Dude, where did you get those headlight housings? They look great and solve a very big design issue. If you don't object, I would appreciate the information. Thanks, JD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom