Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is there a special type of trans fluid and power steering fluid?

Bones280

Corvette
1999 White Coupe
I have a 99 C5 and Im in the middle of a motor swap and Im putting a new torque converter. I need to replace the fluid that was lost in removing of the motor and from the trans lines. Also removal of the old torque converter. In removing of the motor I had to remove the power steering fluid reservoir and lost alot of fluid. So that brings me to my question is there a special type or brand of trans and power steering fluid I need to use? Thanks

Dexron 3 is the ATF fluid used, and GM has their own power steering fluid that I use. Redline probably makes a compatible p/s fluid, but I have always used the manufacturers fluids in p/s systems to be on the safe side.

Document ID: 401495
Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations
Application
Fluid/Lubricant
Automatic Transmission
DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid, G-license number
Engine Coolant
A 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and use only GM Goodwrench® DEX-COOL® or Havoline® DEX-COOL® (silicate-free) coolant.
Engine Coolant Supplemental Sealer
Notice: DO NOT use cooling system seal tabs, or similar compounds, unless otherwise instructed. The use of cooling system seal tabs, or similar compounds, may restrict coolant flow through the passages of the cooling system or the engine components. Restricted coolant flow may cause engine overheating and/or damage to the cooling system or the engine components/assembly.
Engine Oil
The engine requires a special oil meeting GM Specification 4718M. Oils meeting this specification may be identified as synthetic, and should also be identified with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines STARBURST symbol. However, not all Synthetic API oils with the STARBURST symbol will meet this GM Specification. Look for and use ONLY an oil that meets GM Specification 4718M. For information on the proper oil viscosity, refer to Engine Oil Viscosity under Explanation of Scheduled Services .
Engine Oil (Export)
In areas of the world other than North America, it may be difficult to find oils that display the API STARBURST symbol and that are labeled as meeting the GM4718M Specification. If you cannot find API STARBURST displaying oils identified as meeting the GM4718M requirements, look for oils that meet the API Service SJ and ACEA A3-96 requirements. For information on the proper oil viscosity, refer to Engine Oil Quality and Viscosity (Export) under Explanation of Scheduled Services .
Hinges, Hood, Hatch, and Side Doors
Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Superlube® (GM P/N 12346241 or equivalent)
Hinges, Concealed Headlamp, and Fuel Door
Hinges, Console Door, and I/P Compartment Door
Hood Latch, Pivots, and Spring Anchor
Lubriplate® Lubricant Aerosol (GM P/N 12346293 or equivalent) or lubricant meeting the requirements of NLGI # 2, Category LB or GC-LB
Hood Release Pawl
Lubriplate® Lubricant Aerosol (GM P/N 12346293 or equivalent) or lubricant meeting the requirements of NLGI # 2, Category LB or GC-LB
Hydraulic Brake System
Delco Supreme 11® Brake Fluid (GM P/N 12377967 or equivalent DOT-3 Brake Fluid)
Hydraulic Clutch System
Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (GM P/N 12345347 or equivalent DOT-3 Brake Fluid)
Key Lock Cylinders
Manual Transmission
DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid, G-license number
Power Steering System
GM Power Steering Fluid (GM P/N 1052884 (pint) or GM P/N 1050017 (quart), or equivalent)
Rear Axle (Limited-Slip Differential)
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, (GM P/N 12378261) or equivalent meeting GM Specification 9986115. With a complete drain and refill add 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited-Slip Differential Lubricant Additive (GM P/N 1052358 or equivalent)
Weatherstrip Conditioning
Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM P/N 12345579 or equivalent)
Windshield Washer Solvent
GM Optikleen® Washer Solvent (GM P/N 1051515 or equivalent)

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

If your going to be changing the trany fluid I would put the newer Dexron 6 in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom