Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is this a production Alfa TT or a kit??

*89x2*

:cool Callaway TT
attachment.php

...And the ORIGINAL Callaway Twin Turbo :w

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Callaway GTV6 I was fortunate to see last year didn't "look" like a Callaway like this one you posted pictures of does. There were no Callaway markings on the engine on the one I saw!
n18800375_32235680_8865.jpg

n18800375_32235681_9115.jpg

n18800375_32235682_9363.jpg

n18800375_32235265_3562.jpg

n18800375_32235266_3830.jpg

n18800375_32235267_4090.jpg

Nothing but a windshield graphic! :confused

Not saying anything about these particular cars authenticity:------only making a comment. They may have very well worked with and fitted a particular intercooler, and once determined it would work well, incorporate the name into further production with the supplier?

I have no idea. The one I posted was a 1986 GTV6. I do know the hood on the black one is not the stock hood... The stock hood was damaged (if I remember correctly, it came open while the car was driving), so it is a different similar hood with a separate similar hood scoop attached to the top. I didn't get a story from the owner about the engine though... :ugh

I have no idea. The one I posted was a 1986 GTV6. I do know the hood on the black one is not the stock hood... The stock hood was damaged (if I remember correctly, it came open while the car was driving), so it is a different similar hood with a separate similar hood scoop attached to the top. I didn't get a story from the owner about the engine though... :ugh

...maybe it was a "kit" vs. a production Alfa TT :confused

The Alfa TT I thought, was an 85 model only... ;shrug

Wish I knew. I was given the impression by the son-in-law of the owner, that the car was an original Callaway GTV6. Maybe somebody on this forum knows the owner... I remember the son-in-law telling me that his father-in-law had another car at the show. I believe it was this one, a '71 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato:
n18800375_32234903_5103.jpg

There were 5 (and ONLY 5) Alfa Romeo GTV6 Callaways without any "Callaway" on the intercooler, these were the prototypes. These generally came with little, if any, Callaway badging. The car from TX is, I believe, prototype #2.

Of the 36 Callaway GTV6s, 33 were built by Callaway, and 3 were assembled at the dealership -- I think all or at least 2 of 3 were at Bobcor in NJ -- with the aid of Callaway personnel, probably Bob Bornaschella.

The 1986s make up the bulk of the production, and they are easily differentiated from the 1985s by the 3rd brake light.

-Joe in SoFla
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Callaway TT (prototype #5 of 5)

There were 5 (and ONLY 5) Alfa Romeo GTV6 Callaways without any "Callaway" on the intercooler, these were the prototypes. These generally came with little, if any, Callaway badging. The car from TX is, I believe, prototype #2.

Of the 36 Callaway GTV6s, 33 were built by Callaway, and 3 were assembled at the dealership -- I think all or at least 2 of 3 were at Bobcor in NJ -- with the aid of Callaway personnel, probably Bob Bornaschella.

The 1986s make up the bulk of the production, and they are easily differentiated from the 1985s by the 3rd brake light.

-Joe in SoFla
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Callaway TT (prototype #5 of 5)

Joe,

that is some kind of information, thanks , have you got more trivia on the Alfa Twin Turbo's ?

I recently posted a link to an interview with RC about the Alfa's and that gave me lots of information too.

btw Brandon, the car has the proper boost gauge too :cool

Thanks!

I spent enough time hunting for one, and then enough time afterwards deciphering the "genealogy" to have picked up a factoid or two. Such as the inconsistency of Callaway badging among the prototypes.

Here is another: Many, many GTV6 Callaways came new with the same aerokit as the GTV6 Maratona. If you see one, don't assume it's a value-decimating modification by the owner. Alfa bought 180 such kits from AutoVolante and used the first 150 on the 1984 Maratona, the remaining 30 were available as dealer-installed options or after-sales accessories. Some of the more aggressive Alfa dealers (Bobcor, Spruell, etc.) put on the aerokits without being asked. This usually included the rear wing and if the car was so equipped, the sunroof wind deflector.

(Other desirable DIOs are the oil cooler and mahogany steering wheel/shifter)

And if anyone is wondering, that aero kit really makes a difference in high speed stability. I'll leave it to your imagination what "high speed" means in this case.

Oh, and the 1985 GTV6s came with the maligned (some would say "malignant") TRX wheel/tire combination which is why you'll often see buyers opting for the 16" Speedline or BBS wheels. (The BBS wheels, gold mesh on a polished rim, SCREAM "1980s!")

-Joe in Miami

Joe, if you want the high res versions of those pics I took of the one in Texas, give me your email address and I'll happily email them to you. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom