Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

IS THIS A REAL 1981 ????

When Studebaker ceased production and sold the car to the Avanti Motors Corp. they began using 350 Chevys supplied directly from GM.

Tom

That explains why this thing sounds so good!!!:D

It's been a while since I saw one of those. I sort of liked them when they were new.

I can see this car redressed in black with a hardtop, slightly convex clear headlight covers, and some updated wheels no larger than 18 inch. Then rebuild the engine to handle more boost with a modern cam and AFR heads, 750 blower carb in an enclosure and a better intake. Bump the boost considerably and add methanol injection. Could be a lot of fun. I don't think that the Dutov Turbo will ever be a high dollar collector car so why not have some fun?

I have a good Studebaker Avanti story from 1963 if anyone wants to hear it. :D

The first ones I saw were at the 1963 Indy 500 on qualifying day. The Lark was the pace car that year. It was also available supercharged.

Here's the story. We lived about 8 miles from where I do now in Butler Indiana. Being in this area meant that there were Studebaker dealers and they were very common. I was 15 at the time and a car nut. My barber bought a new Avanti with a R1 and automatic trans. It was a cool car and the talk of the town. He had owned it for a couple of months when he needed some sort of minor warranty work done. The dealer was it Fort Wayne so he drove the car down there and they gave him another new Avanti to drive for a couple of days. This one was also an automatic but was an R2 supercharged.

Later in the day his wife left to go to Auburn for some shopping and headed out of town west on US 6. She come up behind a semi and had to wait for an oncoming car to pass. Once the car passed she stomped on the gas to pass as usual not expecting anything different than with her own car. Well, the boost caught her by surprise and before she could get into the left lane she clipped the left rear of the semi trailer with the right front fender of the Avanti and and tore most of the fender off of the brand new car (fiberglass).

He told me that the dealer wasn't really upset since the barber's insurance had to step up to the plate on this. He also wasn't too surprised as these cars were faster than most people expected.

Well we have hijacked this thread long enough. :L

Tom

TheNational Studebaker Museum

there is one of these in Boise (but black). It looks pretty good.

250px-Brandspankinnewavanti.jpg

Duntov Vette

At first I thought it was a diecast model.LOL The body styling is well different.

That's interesting. It has the lines of the original.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom